Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] upgrade/activation of 3.5.3 caused blog to go blank/white, can't login to wp

Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:03 AM
boberang

6 posts · Jul 2009
OK, guess I am in a pickle. I needed to update from WP 2.8.2 (at least that is what the wp-includs/versions indicates) but first decided to update Atahualpa from 3.4 since it should be easy to go back if I mess that up...

Except as soon as I activated 3.5.3 my site went to a blank, white screen. The blog address (intranet) shows the same, wp-admin shows the same, etc.

How do I manually switch back to 3.4 and start the process of figuring out why 3.5.3 caused this? All I did was unzip 3.5.3, copy a header image into the directory suggested in the readme, FTP it up to my server, log into wp-admin and clicked on activate Atahualpa 3.5.3.

Thanks.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:08 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
activate 3.5.3 and go to ato->Export/Import settings and hit the 'Delete bfa_ata4' button at the bottom of the page.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 09:12 AM
boberang

6 posts · Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
activate 3.5.3 and go to ato->Export/Import settings and hit the 'Delete bfa_ata4' button at the bottom of the page.
But how do I get to the Atahualpa Theme Options when I go to my blogaddress/wp-admin/ all I see is the blank white page.

In other words, I can't figure out how to log into my blog anymore, as it is a blank white page (both the admin panel, and the blog itself).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you can go in with ftp and delete teh atahualpa353 folder or better, go into the atahualpa and rename index.php to index.old

activating the theme shouldn't have done anything to the wordpress back end. did you do the update automatically or manually? I've seen automatic updates time out and fail.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:42 AM
boberang

6 posts · Jul 2009
Well now this is interesting. Doing what you suggested (changing index to index.old and then deleting the atahualpa343 folder) didn't work, so re-ftp'd the atahualpa343 folder, still didn't work.

But your comment about how the theme upgrade shouldn't change the backend gave me the idea of deleting the contents of atahualpa343 folder, and uploading inside that folder the contents of my atahualpa34 folder that I backed up and poof, I am able to log in now.

Not sure what to do next though, as I do want to upgrade. I was doing this manually (unzip, move folder to staging server, use FTP to put the folder up).

I suppose maybe download the .zip again, extract it, don't add my header, and upload to see what hapens?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:00 PM
boberang

6 posts · Jul 2009
OK, learned my lesson and am hitting "Preview" now on the theme before activating. On a brand new unzipped folder directly ftp's to /themes/atahualpa353 when I hit preview it shows the same blank white screen.

Yet my Atahualpa 3.4.01 works fine, and previews for Wordpress classic 1.5 and default 1.6 look as plain as ever.

Is 3.5.3 not compatible with WP 2.8.2? Any suggestions?
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:27 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
There was some php issue at some point, but the mind has gone and I can't remember what.

bakup your database, then I would do the upgrade right to WP 3.0.1 then upgrade Atahualpa (I upgraded a 2.6 to 3.0 not to long ago and it went fine.)
Old Aug 10, 2010, 09:55 AM
boberang

6 posts · Jul 2009
Looks like that (the older WP install and whatever php issue with it) was it. I had wanted to do the safer(!) upgrade of the theme first, but as the above points out, that was fruitless!

Upgraded to WP 3.01 and the preview of the 3.5.3 theme shows up fine, minus the header image I need to now upload or change link to.

Thanks!