Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Firefox and Safari show 3 columns. IE only shows 2. How do I resolve?

Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:12 AM
rwang

6 posts · Dec 2008
First of all, congratulations on a great release. 3.1 looks as beautiful as it is to manage and admin. This theme rocks. Thanks for your awesome release.

However, there is a problem I've had since the 3 column approach was introduced. I'm not sure if it's user error or if it's in the code. If you take a look at http://blog.softwareinsider.org in Safari or Firefox, you get the 3 columns. In IE it shows just the left sidebar and then the right sidebar is jumbled towards the end. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!

R
Old Dec 19, 2008, 09:46 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It appears that you have inserted text for this post http://blog.softwareinsider.org/2008...in-the-clouds/ from a Word document and that somehow added microsoft tags such as
HTML Code:
<!--[if gte mso 9]>
which means "print this only if this is greater or equal Microsoft Office 9". Firefox etc. don't care about that Microsoft specific tag that's why it works in those browsers.

All other single post pages work, only the single post page for that post and the homepage (because it contains that post) don't work.

Try editing that post starting at "The bottom line - SaaS platforms continue to morph into cloud computing", i.e. by pasting the text into a text editor first (so it drops the MS Office formatting) and pasting it into WordPress from there.

Or use the "Paste from Word" button in the Wordpress editor. If that button is not visible it should appear when you press ALT+SHIFT+Z
Old Dec 19, 2008, 02:59 PM
rwang

6 posts · Dec 2008
Flynn, thanks a ton. i took out the code but still have the same issue. Any other ideas?

http://blog.softwareinsider.org/2008...in-the-clouds/

R
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Both that page and your homepage work for me now in both IE6 and IE7. Maybe you'll have to click reload 1-2 times as you might be getting the old page

Or which page does still not show the right sidebar?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:37 PM
rwang

6 posts · Dec 2008
Got it. Flynn you were right on the money. Thank you! I've now removed everything that has a MSO reference and this has helped. It now displays on IE. Only thing is it hangs for a bit before it displays. Is that normal?
Old Dec 19, 2008, 05:38 PM
rwang

6 posts · Dec 2008
by the way, where do i donate. this stuff is cool!
Old Dec 19, 2008, 06:17 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
There's still a bit of Microsoft code in http://blog.softwareinsider.org/2008...-the-street-2/

PHP Code:
<class="title"> <xml> <:WordDocument> </w><:View>Normal</w> <:Zoom>0</w> <:PunctuationKerning /> <:ValidateAgainstSchemas /> <:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w> <:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w> <:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w> <:Compatibility> <:BreakWrappedTables /> <:SnapToGridInCell /> <:WrapTextWithPunct /> <:UseAsianBreakRules /> <:DontGrowAutofit /> </w> </xml>< ![endif]--><xml> <:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w> </xml>< ![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><span class="mceItemObject"  classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></span></p>
<
p><mce :style>< !</p>
<
p>st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }</p>
<p>--></p
and

PHP Code:
</mce
The homepage is a bit slow at first load, as you said.

You could consider to show only post excerpts on the homepage, without sociable icons, that would be one way to reduce load times. Or reduce the amount of posts on the front page. You have many plugins and widgets, too, but the single post pages load reasonably fast so the amount and combined weight of the posts on the front page seem to be causing the load time.

Re: Donation: I have a Paypal "Donate" link at the top of each page here
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:35 PM
rwang

6 posts · Dec 2008
$20 in your account. from ray_tina@yahoo.com. cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:52 PM
rwang

6 posts · Dec 2008
Removed the code. IE still is slower. Thanks very much though.
Old Dec 20, 2008, 03:46 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The only remaining MS code I see is in this post http://blog.softwareinsider.org/2008...ance-of-power/

You could try putting that on not published for a minute and see if the speed difference goes away. The other posts look o.k. but that post has multiple

HTML Code:
class="MsoNormal"
and empty "span" containers such as
HTML Code:
<p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size: x-small; font-family: Trebuchet MS;"><span style="font-size: 10pt; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS';"> </span></span></p>
But even after it's cleaned up the site is still heavy with 1 MB in html alone and lots of javascript. It's not unusual for browsers to render javascript in different speed. It doesn't matter with usual amounts of JS but may be with the amount of JS you have. And maybe there's an option for SNAP preview to at least not cover internal links on your site.