Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Random Rotating Header Image with Javascript

Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:49 AM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
Can't access page:

Last edited by Sven; Nov 14, 2010 at 06:51 AM. Reason: added text
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:19 AM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
I have removed the changes to js.php that were suggested here, set the header image rotate time to 10 and fade to 0 and it does rotate the images (centered) and does not pre-load all of the images.

Hopefully, both the rotating header images and fade can be improved upon in the next release and the documentation of the issues here can prove beneficial in doing so.

Any time frame on the next update (with issues fixed)?
Old Nov 14, 2010, 07:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Sorry I didn't realize that you have never donated. That thread is in the gold forum tutorial section and is avaliable to members that have donated $20 or more.

The shuffle/sort will be in 3.5.4 but I'm not sure about the fade issue. The fade in/out is a open source code and the preload issue is something the author may look at. It is not controled by the theme author
Old Nov 14, 2010, 03:02 PM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
I guess I will re-iterate my original thought on having to pay to get an advertised feature to work properly...no thank you, I will go without it first...matter of principal.

"268 options to build your individual theme, without getting worked up over browser compatibilty issues. Up to 4 sidebars, fixed or flexible width layout, custom widget areas, drop down menus, SEO features, rotating header images and an active support forum with over 30,000 posts. New: Style import / export feature and improved speed."

Based on the number people who are asking about the header image features, I am thinking I am not alone in trying to get this to work (as advertised). As of now, the theme has been downloaded 8,506 times and we find 1,512 threads and 7,065 posts under "header configuration and styling"...seems like a lot of people asking a lot of questions to me...maybe if the forum leaders would ascertain which of very many fixes and suggestions really work, or just fix it the volume of questions would be greatly reduced...I am sure the motivation here is to NOT have to provided any form of support, paid or not, correct? Perhaps that is not the goal?

Again, the theme is great but this was the feature I chose the theme for and well...guess I have said enough?

Last edited by Sven; Nov 14, 2010 at 03:02 PM. Reason: add end quote
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
No one is asking you to pay anything and...rotating headers DO work..two ways.

First if you have many images in the images/header folder, each time you refresh the page you will get a new image. Secondly, you can specify the images rotate on the page. What isn't working 100% is the new feature Fade in/out.

The thread I pointed you in the Gold forums is an enhancement that will allow you to specify whither the header images are presented sorted or shuffled. This feature is being added into 3.5.4

There are several extras that are given to members who donate to support this free theme and the people that support it. Better support, access to some tutorials and templates for things like a splash page or a no sidebar template.

But if this feature is what keeps you from using the theme, that's your choice and good luck with whatever theme you decide to use.

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 14, 2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 04:54 PM
Sven

32 posts · Aug 2009
New Hamphire, USA
I guess posts like above and, for example, your post http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7654 lead to believe otherwise.

I do thank you for your help, Juggledad, my point is I should not be having to ask for your help, it should all work, including the fade effect - both are built into the theme options, no?...Right now, I still get the header image flash effect on page load, then the images do rotate...

Did not want to start a debate here, but I have spent a lot of my time attempting to fix something that is supposed to work...
Old Nov 14, 2010, 06:51 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
So let me see if I understand your point. You think that all code should be completely error free? Ever hear about Microsoft's 'Patch Tuesday'?

I spent 20 years working tech support for various software companies. These were were companies that CHARGED for their software. Guess why they had tech support?? To fix errors in the code and to explain how to use it. Ever look at the fixes Microsoft, Apple, sends out

The fix in http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=7654 was created to address a bug introduced BY CHANGES IN WORDPRESS. A fix that I spend several hour working on to help users like yourself. I didn't get paid for doing that, I didn't have to spend that time, I could have gone out and worked in my garden.

You quote numbers about how many posts are in the "header configuration and styling" forum. Did you read them all or you making assumptions to their contents? Did you see how many are for new users that don't know Wordpress or CSS and want to know how to make styling changes or change the way things work?

If you didn't want to start a debate, why did you bring this all up? But your right too much time has been spent on this, so let's just close out this thread.

Good luck with what ever theme you decide to use.