Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

Error 500 - Internal server error

Old Mar 1, 2009, 07:13 AM
gpeery

17 posts · Feb 2009
test
I totally love this template - have already made a donation and am looking forward to working with it more. However, after applying it to an existing site (www.townofnelson.com) I got a

Error 500 - Internal server error

when I tried to edit or make new posts.
This appears to be related to the.htaccess file, or at least, that's what I think from doing some research about this problem. I contacted my hosts, and they suggested that it was a problem with the template, so I switched to another one and it worked.

So, there appears to be something in the Atahualpa template that needs to be adjusted in order to fix this. I'm pretty good with Wordpress on the surface, and with editing files, but my knowledge of things at this level is limited. Can you tell me what might cause a problem like this, at the template level, and what I should do to try to fix it?

Thank you very much.

Gordon Peery
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:23 PM
gpeery

17 posts · Feb 2009
test
Actually, it turns out I've discovered that the problem is with the Event Calendar 3.1.4 plugin. When that is active, then I can't make posts, and I get the 500 error.

Any thoughts on this - I really like this plugin.

Gordon Peery
Old Mar 1, 2009, 03:55 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Please try with the default theme and see if this is theme related. If not I suggest that you ask the plugin author if this is a known problem
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:08 PM
gpeery

17 posts · Feb 2009
test
Since posting my original message, I have determined that this is a theme problem. I have been able to create and edit posts using other themes, but when I return to this theme, the problem is still there. I am intent on using the theme (it is really excellent), so I hope that there can be a solution. Right now we are using an embedded Google calendar for calendar functionality, but I would prefer to have something that can run in the sidebar, and that can contain event details as posts. Please let me know if you have other suggestions.
Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 04:49 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
The theme doesn't do anything with htaccess. And it shouldn't be involved when you go into the Admin area and start writing a new post. Please explain more detailed when the error happens, i.e. how do you get to the edit or create new posts, which links are you clicking

Also, themes can keep widgets in their sidebar even after you deactivated them. It does not necessarily mean that the theme is causing this if it works with another theme but not with Atahualpa. Atahualpa might have an offending widget in its sidebar, the other theme not.

What are your settings at

Settings -> General -> WordPress address (URL) / Blog address (URL)

and

Settings -> Permalinks
Old Mar 1, 2009, 06:05 PM
gpeery

17 posts · Feb 2009
test
This issue may be resolved, though I'm not quite sure what among many actions worked. I'm testing various scenarios now.

Thanks for your attention on this, and hopefully you won't hear anything more about this.