Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Very Confused About How Widgets Work (or don't)!

Old Jul 16, 2009, 04:34 AM
ShelaghG

3 posts · Jul 2009
Very Confused About How Widgets Work (or don't)!

I have just installed the latest version Atahualpa, using WP 2.7.1. Both sidebars are visible and when I go to the widgets screen it says that neither have any widgets being used. My left sidebar is displaying Categories and Archives; the right is showing Links and Meta. None of these have an "Add" button by them in the widget screen. If I add a widget to a sidebar, the content that was there disappears and the widget shows correctly however I then have no way to display Links etc. Have I missed something blindingly obvious?
Old Jul 16, 2009, 05:10 AM
ShelaghG

3 posts · Jul 2009
I upgraded to the latest version of WP which seems to have solved the problem.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:57 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
WordPress by default displays several widgets UNTIL you add a widget to the sidebars. I think the logic is 'On a new install, you probally need these functions, but once you add a widget, you are taking control so we'll remove the default ones'

Last edited by juggledad; Jul 27, 2009 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2009, 12:59 PM
ShelaghG

3 posts · Jul 2009
Hi

I'd managed to work that out from other threads, what threw me was once I activated a new widget the old ones vanished and there was no way to get them back on the side bar; they didn't have an Add button at the side of them like the others.

S
Old Jul 26, 2009, 07:04 PM
scott1137

16 posts · Jul 2009
I'm new to WP and to coding. I understand the logic described but not clear how to fix. I have tried several themes; have used various widgets before activating Atahualpa.

With no widgets selected I have categories and archives on left sidebar; posts, search, recent posts, blogroll, and meta on the right sidebar. When I add widgets everything changes and some are duplicated.

I have tried earlier today this fix you described in related thread:delete FROM wp1_options WHERE option_name = 'bfa_widget_areas', following the directions there to no avail.

Is there a way to go back to a clean slate with respect to the widgets without reinstalling up?

Oh, the php on the server is v.5.2.9

Thanks,

Scott
Old Jul 27, 2009, 05:35 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Scott, what version of Atahualpa and WP?