Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Guide: Increase the SEO of your front page with nofollow on "Read More"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Oct 27, 2012, 06:23 PM
BrianDouglas

8 posts · Oct 2012
New Jersey, USA
Smile Guide: Increase the SEO of your front page with nofollow on "Read More"

I'm going to show you a tip on how to increase your SEO when using this wonderful theme.

Why do this?

You already have an anchored permalink that bears your post's title, so allowing the "Read More" link to be followed by search spiders is not a great practice for your front page or post lists. Telling the bots not to follow the "Read More" link is going to help ensure that there is only one link to a given post on your listings, making them able to more efficiently crawl your page.

It works by eliminating duplicate links to the same place on the same page, and there will no longer be a link telling Google or other search engines that your post is called both its own title and "read more".

To achieve this optimization:

Visit Appearance -> Montezuma Options -> Sub Templates -> postformat.php

Find the final div in the file named post-footer.

You will find this bit of code nested within that div:

href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" title=

Change that line to read:

href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>" rel="nofollow" title=

Save the changes, and you are done. Your blog is instantly improved for spiders to have a better time crawling your webpage.

More to consider:

Depending on your strategy, you may also want to add nofollow to other parts of your site, such as the tags in the posts and categories if you display those in your content. Especially if you keep categories and tags in your sidebar as well.

I haven't really figured out how to do that with this theme yet, but if you know how, or know any other optimizations like this for the content of postformat.php, they would be great to share here. Thanks for the time, and I hope I added value to your experience with the Montezuma theme.

Last edited by BrianDouglas; Oct 27, 2012 at 06:46 PM.