Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] Use Custom Field image_src to Show Thumbnail in Excerpt

Old Mar 5, 2011, 10:43 AM
Big Geek Daddy

42 posts · Nov 2009
United States
Is there a way to use a custom field (image_src) to show an image in the Excerpt on the category pages? I don't have an image in the post itself so just trying to figure out if the custom field can be used to do this.

If possible, what is the code and where would it go in the Theme?
Old Mar 5, 2011, 09:40 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
How about using the featured image on the post?
Old Mar 6, 2011, 06:10 AM
Big Geek Daddy

42 posts · Nov 2009
United States
There isn't a featured image. The posts don't have an images in them and I'm using the image_src as a custom field so the nrelate Plugin will work. Just trying to figure out if I can also use that custom field to show the same thumbnail in excerpts.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:31 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
There is probably some way if you did into the code but you could also just add the image you are pointing to in the custom field as the featured image of the post. That image will show up in the excerpt.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:45 AM
Big Geek Daddy

42 posts · Nov 2009
United States
Well unless I'm completely missing something using the Featured Image Adds the image to the post. I don't want the image to display in the post. Also, when I tried this just now the image did show up in the post but not in Excerpt.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 07:55 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
When I tried it the image showed in the excerpt and not the post. Hmmm.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 08:12 AM
Big Geek Daddy

42 posts · Nov 2009
United States
OK...I think I see how your doing that. I was trying to add image using From URL tab and it appears you're using Media Library tab. The Media Library Tab has "use as featured image" while the URL Tab only has "Insert into Post".

Since I've been hosting my images somewhere else this kind of leaves me in a bind unless I can somehow use the current image_src field or manually go back and add all my images to the Media Library then update individual posts. At least going forward I know what the option is...just all the previous posts...arghhhh!!! Live and Learn I guess...LOL.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 03:05 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I know your pain. I try to future proof my sites best as possible and then I find I should have done it a different way so now have to do a bunch of work to "fix". I guess that just goes with this type of work.

There is also an Add Featured Image link on the right column of the edit post screen. You still can't add one via a URL but sometimes this makes more sense when adding a featured image after the post has been created.

You might also do a search at wordpress.org for plugins that will let you import images for the featured images in bulk. I am not certain but I often am surprised by what is there.
Old Mar 6, 2011, 05:33 PM
Big Geek Daddy

42 posts · Nov 2009
United States
I used the Add Featured Image link to add a bunch of images to my most recent posts so now the category pages have a thumbnail for the first few pages. Thankfully I had kept all my thumbnails organized by the month I created the post so really wasn't that hard to add them in.

I had used Thumbnails for Excerpts plugin for awhile but to get it to work I had to include an image in the post which is what I was trying to avoid. It's a good plugin but unfortunately it hasn't been updated in a long time and that always makes me a little leery to use it.

This will be easy to do going forward so thanks again for your help in pointing me towards the featured image function.