Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Trying to avoid child themes. Header problems

Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:30 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
Trying to avoid child themes. Header problems

I have a WordPress network site and each blog shares the same header navigation, but separate header layout.

The ideal solution would be to do a php include file in the header option area of theme configuration. That way, I can have the following:

navigation.php gets loaded into:
business_hdr.php
homestead_hdr.php
main_hdr.php

Then, for each sub blog, all I have to do is include the proper php header for the design I need. Then, if I ever have to change the navigation link, I just update one file...navigation.php.

The problem is, I'm not allowed to do php code in the theme options and the code doesn't recognize html include.

That only leaves me to use child themes so each blog can have the php include header code on the index.php file. That's how I'm giving each header it's own look. I had to duplicate the atahualpa folders so I can do a php include line on each of the index pages.

It's a pain to maintain. Now that there is an update available for atahualpa, I have to update a lot of instances!

Is there a better way?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 05:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what is in the header configuration you need to change? you can have separate header images for each blog now (see the onscreen info ATO->Image Location->Images Directory)
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:04 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
The problem with just using an image is that I need a navigation inserted within each header image. The only way I know how to do that is to use tables. The image files surround a row. Inside the row is where I load the navigation.php.

If you look at my site, http://kudzujungle.com you'll see the main header. Click on the homestead link, and you will see the same header style, using the same navigation, but I need to change the entire header image. The same will hold true for the business section, and so on. Each section needs a different header color/image theme, but the same navigation buttons that control the whole network of blogs.

If I just use a header image, then how do I get the navigation buttons within each image?

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 5, 2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 07:47 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Quote:
I need a navigation inserted within each header image
whay don't you use the Atahualpa image them the atahualpa menu, ie in 'Configure Header Area' use
HTML Code:
%image %pages
Your image will show first then the menu. With the new image location. you could create a folder for each site, put the image you want in it and that image would show for that site.

Using CSS you can style the menu's as you want.

Let me ask, how many sites do you think you will have? I'm just always interested in why people decide to go with a multisite.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 08:29 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
The reason I have so many sites is because each site has it's own specific business plans, functions and purpose.

I have a business plan for opening and running a coffee house. If I mix up coffee house things with homesteading plans, it's going to get confusing. I also have a business site, which has business topics that might not have anything to do with running a restaurant. Then there is music because my husband and I are musicians, and we keep that separate, and it will eventually have an online radio station that has nothing to do with the other sites. However, I keep them all on Kudzu Jungle, as a giant community.

I guess I compartmentalized everything so the plans can be separated, yet as one community.

As for the menu, I tried that option you described. It wants to make a button out of pages that I don't want to have buttons. Plus, I want my own graphics for the button. I guess I'll just have to have multiple instances of the theme.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:18 PM
Kudzu

43 posts · Nov 2009
Tennessee
I just noticed your "for hire" footer on your posts. I really really really don't want to have multiple instances of the theme to have to update for the rest of my blogging life.

Can you make php work in the theme options, where it says php can no longer be added?

All of this would be solved if I could just put a php include file there. I could call each header file right into the options.