Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

Need help creating pages with custom settings and widgets

Old Apr 21, 2009, 04:43 AM
Humphrey

7 posts · Apr 2009
Hi there!

I am brand new to wordpress, to web servers, and still no idea about coding much of anything in any real language except gibberish, so please forgive me if it takes me a few reply's to understand what you are talking about. But in the hope that I do understand your answer, here is my question:

I am using the Atahualpa Theme on a new version of wordpress, but what I would like to do is have my blog posts come up on a second page and have a fairly static 'home' page.

What I would really like to do is have just my most recent post on the front page with only the title and intro text showing, I'd also like to add some widgets or plugins to the home page, not just the sidebars, so I could put some things like a photo widget, twitter or FB widgets, or some google things. I also want to keep the style of sidebars I have too so people can click left or right for archives, tags, searching, rss etc just like on all other pages.

I want to change my current 'home' page that displays all my posts to a second page called 'The Blog' or something, and then have the current second page, be a third page (the default is titled 'about' but I have renamed it 'Random Page').

On the page that if this all works, will be called 'The Blog' I would like to have the most recent post show up at the top then the next two or four posts be clickable from smaller 'title or title + tags' boxes

Does any of this make sense? Is it possible to do? I'm betting it is, and probably really simple right? I'm just completely missing it haha

Thanks to anyone who can help me sort this out, or at least point me in the right direction! I know newbies like me are such a pain. We want to do everything but have no idea how to do anything.

my site is at www.hhworld.net if it helps to have a look at it to understand what I mean
Old Apr 21, 2009, 09:14 AM
Humphrey

7 posts · Apr 2009
Just to update - I have found the way to rename the pages in the page menu bar and have all three pages showing content, now I am just wondering if someone can help me with the code for the following:

Firstly to divide up the 'The Blog' page to show the most recent post at the top as an excerpt with the first few lines but then show a two or three column/cell division below that that shows the next two or three posts or stickys or a combo of the two, as just a title and maybe the tags

Second: Is it possible to show widgets on anything except the sidebars? could I put widgets in my 'Main' page for example? Is there a plugin that enables this or some such?

Thanks again for any help you can give!