Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

BUGFIX: 3.4.9 Excerpt length not working properly?

Old May 17, 2010, 02:28 AM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
BUGFIX: 3.4.9 Excerpt length not working properly?

I am running 3.4.9 and I have Excerpt length set to 200, yet the articles cut off at about around 60 works or so. It is properly displaying the custom read more link so it is executing correctly I'm just not sure what the problem could be. I'm not placing any manual read more breaks into the articles themselves and, as far as I know, I have it configured correctly. Am I missing something?
Old May 17, 2010, 02:50 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
what version of WP and what is the url?
do you have any '<!--more-->'s in the post?
Old May 18, 2010, 04:05 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
WP 2.9.2 and url is www.pvpgamer.com
No there are no more tags in the posts, which is really confusing me. The account info I sent you in PM should still be active if you want to take a look.
Old May 20, 2010, 05:35 PM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
Just a little update. Done some testing trying to figure out what's causing this and I'll give you a couple examples here.
Text of lead article with excerpt length at 20:
Quote:
There is an awesome article written by lead content
Excerpt length at 50:
Quote:
There is an awesome article written by lead content designer Colin Johanson up at the Guild Wars 2 website. There is not any PvP relevance to the article but it did point out quite a few of the inherent flaws
Excerpt length at 100:
Quote:
There is an awesome article written by lead content designer Colin Johanson up at the Guild Wars 2 website. There is not any PvP relevance to the article but it did point out quite a few of the inherent flaws in PvE content that make it such a bitter pill to swallow. I won’t bother trying to rephrase the content as he says it much more ebulliently then I could manage so head on over and take
Excerpt length at 200:
Quote:
There is an awesome article written by lead content designer Colin Johanson up at the Guild Wars 2 website. There is not any PvP relevance to the article but it did point out quite a few of the inherent flaws in PvE content that make it such a bitter pill to swallow. I won’t bother trying to rephrase the content as he says it much more ebulliently then I could manage so head on over and take
Excerpt length at 500:
Quote:
So you can see what I mean. It won't ever finish the article and add the last two words which should be "a look!" irregardless of the excerpt length. Not a major bug, but I don't think that's intended functionality. Might want to do some testing on how it handles posts that are < the excerpt length.

One other thing, I've set it up so that the <blockquote> tab is in the "Don't strip these tags" section so that they will show up on the main page, problem is if the expert ends in a blockquote the custom read more message will be included inside the blockquote as well. Solved that by just adding a </blockquote> to the beginning of my custom read more message but that's not a very elegant fix. Just something else to think about.

Last edited by Kadin; May 20, 2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old May 21, 2010, 05:05 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ok, I've figured out what is happening, but do not have a fix yet.

There are two issues:

1) the excerpt stops two words before the end of the post
i.e. if you have a
post of 120 words and excerpt at 125 - you see 118 words and then [...]
post of 120 words and excerpt at 120 - you see 118 words and then [...]
post of 120 words and excerpt at 119 - you see 118 words and then [...]
post of 120 words and excerpt at 118 - you see 118 words and then [...]
post of 120 words and excerpt at 118 - you see 117 words and then [...]

2) for some reason multiple spaces stop the excerpt, so if you have a post of 120 words and excerpt at 119 - but theere are 2 or more spaces between the 39 and 40th words, you see 40 words and then [...]
Old May 21, 2010, 06:46 AM
Kadin

39 posts · May 2010
Cool, thanks for looking into that.