Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Atahualpa SLOW to load!

Old Jun 16, 2009, 09:27 AM
rackphoto

19 posts · Jun 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Unhappy Atahualpa SLOW to load!

Hi,
I have pretty much committed to using the Atahualpa theme considering the time I have already put into customizing it. However I am really frustrated at this time in how slow my WordPress blog is loading. I have my WordPress in a subfolder of my main site. The main site seems quick to load but when I try to access the WordPress page it takes anywhere from 7-8 seconds to several minutes to load. Sometimes quicker sometimes slower. I am not sure what decides how long it will take at any given moment. Also the Admin pages can be real slow to access also. I am not sure if it is an issue with the Atahualpa theme or with my host provider. I don't think it is Atahualpa because I have tried switching themes and it was still slow. I am not sure if it is my host because my main site seems quick enough. The only thing slow is my WordPress installation. I would be willing to switch hosts if I knew for sure that was the problem. I have seen threads on the WordPress Forum that other people have started because of the same issue so it seems I am not the only one that this happens to. I just do not know where to turn and am hoping that someone here might be able to help me track this down!!!

Main Site:
http://rackphoto.com

WordPress/Atahualpa page:
Http://rackphoto.com/pp

Thanks,

Ron
Old Jun 16, 2009, 11:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I'd be looking at your database. A load of the page (see the stats at the bottom of the page) shows: 95 queries. 64.741 seconds. On my local install I get 117 queries. 1.653 seconds. and on my hosted site, I get 134 queries. 1.384 seconds.

Once the page has been generated, it takes no time to display (view the source and then save it to your desktop and open it in your browser)

if you are still on WP 2.7.1 install the wp-security plugin and then copy and past the info from the column 'System Information Scan'

And seeing how the same problem exists in another theme, the title is really misleading
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:46 PM
rackphoto

19 posts · Jun 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Thanks for looking into this. I am not real technical so I don't know what to do exactly when you say "look at my database".
Maybe this helps, I got a message from the tech support at my hosting company (Fatcow) that said:
"There is currently a known issue with the CGI pool/MySQL server you are hosted on which may be causing increased load times. Our engineers are aware of this issue and are currently working to resolve it. At this time we have no definite ETA on when this issue will be resolved."
Do you think that is the problem?
I am actually in the process of moving everything to a different host to see if that will fix it.

Ron
Old Jun 16, 2009, 10:49 PM
rackphoto

19 posts · Jun 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Oops,
I forgot to say that I have already upgraded to 2.8

Thanks again,

Ron
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:53 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Well that certainly is a big culprit since Wordpress is using a MySQL database.

Since you could interperate the response to mean that they have other servers that don't have this problem, I'd ask them to move you to a server without problem. This probably won't happen, but you never know. Good luck
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:42 AM
rackphoto

19 posts · Jun 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
OK, I did the drastic step of actually changing my Hosting provider from Fatcow to VectorLevel as recommended by Flynn elsewhere. That seems to have solved all the slow loading issues. Previously my wordpress blog was SLOW to load anywhere from 5 to 10 seconds to minutes!! Also my Admin pages were slow. Fatcow acknowledged a problem. So I jumped ship and with the new provider my site flies along as expected. As of this writing it hasn't fully propagated yet so I am waiting for that. So from my experience from all the issues I had and reading a lot of forums and finding out that a lot of people have various issues with sites loading slow, in my case it was the host provider that was at fault. I've read that Wordpress won't acknowledge the slow problem, that they blame it on the hosts, the hosts blame it on Wordpress, etc. etc. All I can say is that I tried all the cache tricks, supercache, speedy, whatever. If you have a major slow problem these tricks probably won't help much. Try a new web host

ron