Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » FAQ - Atahualpa » Header »

HOWTO: put your image in the header

Old Dec 15, 2009, 06:16 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I just recently got the following email:
Quote:
Hi there!
I have seen your postings and I know you are the one to ask. PLEASE help me with my Atahualpa Header.
All the forums messages I have read pertaining to this say where the header files are. I am not understanding HOW to actually get there. I am a total novice and I have learned everything on my own, but this I can't figure out.
My site is xxxxxxxx.com. PLEASE walk me through the instructions on how to get in and do a custom header.
I will be happy to make a donation for your time. THANK YOU!
I was going to reply to the email and then decided to post the answer for any other newbie's whow need the lesson also. So here is my answer:

Quote:
your site is hosted on a computer somewhere (godaddy, yahoo, westhost etc) and you have a folder on that computer, we will call it 'yourfolder' (the name depends on the host), so you have:

\yourfolder

Inside that folder is a folder with all the wordpress code

\yourfolder\wordpress

and inside that is a folder called 'wp-contents'

\yourfolder\wordpress\wp-contents

and inside that is a folder called 'themes'

\yourfolder\wordpress\wp-contents\themes

and inside that is 'atahualpa'

\yourfolder\wordpress\wp-contents\themes\atahualpa

and inside that is 'images'

\yourfolder\wordpress\wp-contents\themes\atahualpa\images

and inside that is a folder called 'header'

\yourfolder\wordpress\wp-contents\themes\atahualpa\images\header

and that is where you put your header images.

So the question becomes, how do you get them there?

In order to transfer a file from one computer to another on the internet you use the 'file transfer protocal' or as it is commonly referred to as FTP. There are literialy hunderds of FTP programs out there and some host providers have them built-in to their control panels. (look for something saying FTP)

If you use a standalone FTP program you have to have some information

1) the name of your FTP server
2) your userid at your host
3) your password

all of these should have been given to you by your host provider, probably in an email.

Once you get connected to your host, via a standalone program or the host's control panel, you just move your way thru the folders till you get to:

\yourfolder\wordpress\wp-contents\themes\atahualpa\images\header

here you will see three images that came with the install. You see/hear about two terms when using FTP: upload and download. The way to think about this is the host is at the top of a big hill and your computer is at the bottom. If you want to move (or put) a file from your computer to the host, you have to UPLOAD it (it goes up the hill) and if you want to get something from the host , you will DOWNLOAD it (it comes down from the top of the hill)

Without knowing the exact host and logging into it, I can't tell you the exact way it will work, because everyone seems to do it differntly. Same goes with FTP programs.

I use westhost.net as my provider and I'm on a mac and use a program called 'Fetch' to do my FTPing, so if you are on a mac, get that program, and are a westhost client, I can give you detailed steps but otherwise I can't
I hope this gives you a idea of what you need to do. If you get stuck, post a reply with your query and someone will surely jump in to help.

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 18, 2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:38 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Excellent explanation of FTP, JD.

I would add that since becoming a Mac person, I've used Fetch, but I find it a bit hard to use compared to what I used before I saw the light and was still using a Windows PC. Back then I used Cute FTP, which has a more intuitive interface than most of the others, in my opinion. It now comes in a Mac version, so I am a happy kid. I also sometimes use the free FireFTP add-on for Firefox.

Cute FTP can be found at http://globalscape.com/products/ftp_clients.aspx, and you can download a free trial.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 07:43 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I use it mainly because I've been using it for about 10 years and it's like second nature to me. As I said, there are many many FTP programs, some good, some bad, but it's really a personal choice, ie which one do you like.

Last edited by juggledad; Feb 18, 2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 03:50 AM
Mark_

29 posts · Feb 2010
This should be made sticky as this question seems to get asked every day
Old Feb 28, 2010, 08:37 PM
Codophobe

5 posts · Feb 2010
In a related closed thread "[SOLVED] Images for the header" Brad Brown wrote "Many of those [creative commons images] can be used for free with attribution". Is there a way put an attribution in (or associate an attribution with) a header image? Without using the Editor?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 04:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
all the images are jpg's, png's or gif's etc and neithor Atahualpa or Wordpress do anything to the actual image atributes. You can add a title to an image in WordPress.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 07:47 AM
Codophobe

5 posts · Feb 2010
Yes, thanks, but (1) I mean identifying the copyright owner and license, not the tech specs of the image file, and (2) the "Add New" function in the WordPress Media tab uploads files to wp-content/uploads/2010/... not the theme image subfile. I suppose I could use my FTP program to move the image file, but would the title come with it? And -- this may be beyond the subject of this forum -- does embedding a title with copyright and license info satisfy the Creative Commons license?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 09:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
as far as I am aware the file type determines what meta data it may contain. If you look at the structure of a jpg for example (ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JPEG#Syntax_and_structure), there is room for application specifid data and comment - but that is put there by the applicaton that creates the jpg.

If you have the right tools, you could put info in there, but Wordpress just works WITH the image, it doesn't work ON the image

Last edited by juggledad; Apr 21, 2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 10:19 AM
Codophobe

5 posts · Feb 2010
Thanks juggledad.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 05:24 AM
Doc GermaniCus

13 posts · Jun 2009
Heilbronn, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
I just recently got the following email:

I was going to reply to the email and then decided to post the answer for any other newbie's whow need the lesson also. So here is my answer:

I hope this gives you a idea of what you need to do. If you get stuck, post a reply with your query and someone will surely jump in to help.
Thanks juggledad!

I have a Problem with WPmu..
I need differnt Sets of Header-images.

I tried out to create multiple theme-dirs (theme1, theme2)..
But this dosenīt work..

There was somewhere a Posting with differnt directories, but i doesent understand it. Is there somewhere a German Helpfile..?

Mybe its possible, to define myself the source-directories of the header-images for every WPmu Site..?

Thank You!

Helmut

---
Old Apr 21, 2010, 05:27 AM
ironweasel

1 posts · Apr 2010
good thing i got hold of these forums. i've been wanting to change my headers and just don;t know how to do it.

thanks for these info
Old Apr 26, 2010, 02:07 PM
carole

3 posts · Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
Excellent explanation of FTP, JD.

I would add that since becoming a Mac person, I've used Fetch, but I find it a bit hard to use compared to what I used before I saw the light and was still using a Windows PC. Back then I used Cute FTP, which has a more intuitive interface than most of the others, in my opinion. It now comes in a Mac version, so I am a happy kid. I also sometimes use the free FireFTP add-on for Firefox.

Cute FTP can be found at http://globalscape.com/products/ftp_clients.aspx, and you can download a free trial.
I'm on a Mac and I've used Fetch for years. I've recently switched to yummy ftp (http://www.yummysoftware.com), and it is soo superior. It is MUCH faster on the upload. It uploads many files at once (rather than queuing them up and uploading them one at a time) and if the connection is broken, it picks up where it left off (rather than starting all over again). And the interface is much more Mac-like. You can view files on your computer in one column, and drag them to any directory on your server in the other column. You can even move or copy files from one server to another without involving your home computer at all.

Old May 15, 2010, 09:37 AM
richardjes

3 posts · May 2010
Hi Guys,

If anyone is picking this up could do with some help. Am just starting today with this theme.

I have uploaded a header image (.GIF) to the header/images folder but when i go back to my blog and hit refresh it does not show.

I have set the header at FLUID and the actual header size is 800px.

Have i done something wrong here.

Cheers

Richard
Old May 15, 2010, 10:10 AM
richardjes

3 posts · May 2010
OK I have worked it out. I did not add my actual header name to the header configuration section.

Found it in one of the other threads.

Cheers

Richardjes
Old May 24, 2010, 10:52 PM
crby4Him

3 posts · May 2010
Thank you for the instructions for adding an image to the header. I added a banner.

I know there is a setting to make the image clickable but it only lets you click to the homepage.

How do I make the header image clickable to any link?
Old May 25, 2010, 03:40 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
If you want to make the header image clickable to another address you will have to change the code. Feel free to dig in.
Old May 25, 2010, 10:44 AM
crby4Him

3 posts · May 2010
Thank you. I expected to have to change the code BUT where do I go to change it and what code do I use?

I know html but I do not know php.

thanks,
Diana

Last edited by crby4Him; May 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:23 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
crby4Him - Why not just put up a link to the other site in the sidebar. The expected behavior of a header image on sites is to go to the home page and, in my opinion, would be confusing to most.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
there is a HOWTO in the gold forum tuturials forum titled
HOWTO: Set different header images clickable (linked) to a different location
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=6538
Old May 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
@Larry, I agree.

Also, keep in mind that in the new Wordpress 3.0, you'll be able to fashion menus which mix pages, categories, outside links and custom post types.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:22 PM
crby4Him

3 posts · May 2010
I'm unable to view that thread. Something about privileges.
Old May 25, 2010, 12:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
the gold forums are avaliable to members who have donated $20 or more
Old Jun 8, 2010, 07:29 AM
frankie1266

1 posts · Apr 2010
I have been reading posts in your forum all morning. I have to tell you that I am really enjoying them! Their is a wealth of good user information here.
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:33 PM
preciousfoods

34 posts · Jun 2010
Hello, how can I please get rid of the big black "home" that appears on my home page? ourpowerback.com
thank you so much!
Old Jun 15, 2010, 08:41 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
  1. Go to ATO>Configure SEO and set Use Post/Page Options to Yes.
  2. Edit the home page and check the box next to "Check to NOT display the Body Title on Single Post or Static Pages" in the Atahualpa Post Options