Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] OMG! My blog disappeared!

Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:19 PM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
I made an adjustment to the categories (trying to input text into category bar and put it above the main menu bar, neither of which I've succeeded at), and then I checked my site to see if the changes were made, and the whole page is gone. It seems to go to the proper URL, but nothing is there!

And in the Categories window, it appears that there are two categories, both called 'Name'.

Any suggestions for getting my site back?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:28 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Is it just the page or the whole site?
Can you get into the backend?
What is the URL and versions?
If you can get in the backend, do you still see your posts in the editor?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 06:34 PM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
It appears that all the pages are still there. I just can't see anything. Since it's a new site, there are no posts yet. Check it out: http://jonathanstein.org/.

So I'm hoping that since I can still access the WP dashboard, that all is not lost. But I can't figure out how to fix it, in part becasue I don't know what I did to create the problem. All I did was try to add a category.

I just checked. None of the pages come up when I manually type in the URL.

9:30 PM, EST, still no luck. Blog won't come back...

Last edited by jstein; Oct 17, 2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: updating
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:27 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Something is causing the page not to get completely built.

Is your front page your blog page or did you set it to a particular page? If so, set it back to the blog page -dashboard->settings->reading->front page displays
Old Oct 17, 2010, 08:39 PM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
JD, I have it set to a static page...haven't changed that lately so don't think that would be part of the problem. Any other ideas? I hope i don't have to reset the whole darn thing, but maybe...? Can you think of any reason why or how changing something about the Categories would cause something like this to happen?

Last edited by jstein; Oct 17, 2010 at 08:42 PM. Reason: addendum
Old Oct 17, 2010, 09:49 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
When you say you were "trying to input text into category bar and put it above the main menu bar" where were you inputting text? Was it in a theme file or in the theme options?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 04:31 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Please change to 'front page displays' latest posts as a test To see what happens.
Also, did you remove the change you made?
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:51 AM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
I did remove the changes I made. Can you say a bit more about what you mean by 'front page displays' and how to change it?

Thank you!
Old Oct 18, 2010, 06:52 AM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
Honestly, I never got that far. I got as far as trying to figure out how to get links to show up in that bar and to get rid of the one that says 'uncatagorized'. I'm pretty sure I was in theme options. Not even sure what 'theme files' are. (spoken like a true newbie)
Old Oct 18, 2010, 07:11 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
go to the dashboard, then to settings and then to the section 'reading' and you will see an option 'Front Page displays' set it to 'Your latest posts'
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:14 AM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
Did you just make another change? It looks all up to date now??

Thanks again for your help. I just donated $10. Not much but really all I can afford at the moment. Hope it help a bit.

Gratefully,
Jonathan
Old Oct 18, 2010, 08:20 AM
jstein

95 posts · Sep 2010
So, interesting thing. First, thanks for both of you for helping me.

I just went into 'style and edit HEADER AREA' and added '%cats' to the 'Configure Header Area' and everything disappeared again! So, or course, I removed %cats. But I actually DO want that bar there. I want it to be above the main menu though, and really just want to have my name and credentials in what would normally be the 'categories' menu bar. Is that possible?

Because later, I'm going to put a sidebar with categories, but not across the top.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 04:48 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This was caused because of a start comment being added to the CSS in the category area. When the %cat was added, it got processed and caused an error. Once the CSS was cleaned up things started working.