Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

PLEASE HELP A newbie out. updated theme options don't show up!

Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:01 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
hello everyone. i'm a complete newb to the blogosphere and i'm trying to help out a friend who's even less savvy than i am. i've chosen atahualpa for a theme. i've gone into presentation > theme options and updated a few things. when i bring up the site, none of the options i've changed show up. is there something really obvious i'm missing?
Old Mar 17, 2009, 02:11 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
one thing i noticed is that when i hit "view site" it brings me to a mysite.com/blog and not mysite.com. mysite.com/blog has all the changes.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:08 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
We're all newbies at the beginning!

Go into your Dashboard/Settings/General area (I'm using WP 2.7), and yours might be called something else.

Check your URLs for the blog and where your Wordpress files are. Mine are in the same directory at the moment, but when we go "live," I think I will put index.php in the root of my site but leave the WP files where they are.

I may be back asking that question later! I'm sure all of this is answered in the WP Codex, but it's more fun to get answers here.

And make sure you're saving all your changes, of course.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 05:47 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
thanks paulae. it's weird. all of the changes showed up a few hours later - like it just took a while for them to take effect. thing is now, none of the comments on each post are visible. when i click on them it just takes me to a blank page. any ideas on that?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 02:10 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
can someone please help me out?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 03:12 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Could you post your URL so we could look?
Old Mar 18, 2009, 09:35 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
here you go:

realitysteve.com

none of the comments or recent posts are working. thank you so much for replying!
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:28 PM
Jerry

65 posts · Feb 2009
The beautiful Pacific Northwest USA
I've noticed I have to log-out and then log back in to get changes to show right up. You might give that a try.
Old Mar 18, 2009, 11:47 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
thanks for the suggestion jerry! i gave it a try and the comments and recent posts still don't work hopefully someone has the answer.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 07:22 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hello: I'm no expert but I have been fooling around lately with changing the directory structure of my website and the problems created.

I'm with paulae -- I'd bet your trouble is due to changes you made to the WP URLs. Get into Dashboard/Settings/General area and check out the WP URLS shown in "WordPress address (URL)" and "Blog address (URL)". These were the SAME.

Try making them both "http://realitysteve.com/blog" (note I didn 't type a final forward slash after "/blog") -- SAVE CHANGES and try accessing the website.

No joy? Set both those URLS to http://realitysteve.com -- SAVE CHANGES and try again.

Check the Permalinks setting (in the Dashboard/Settings a few lines below "General"). If you've changed that from "Default", put it back to Default - SAVE CHANGES and try accessing the site again. Try typing the URL in the browser both ways "http://realitysteve.com/" and "http://realitysteve.com/blog/"

I'm sure your problem resides in this "area". But, if you have to modify the .htaccess file and things like that we've moved outside the area where I can confidently help. One golden lining here would be that the chances are VERY GOOD that all the comments, etc are okay in the database, you just have to get back to a place from where you're able to access them.

Good Luck!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
realitysteve.com must point to his index.php file. His posts and all the other files are in realitysteve.com/blog, so it would seem to me his blog address should be just realitysteve.com (maybe add /index.php), and the Wordpress URL should be http://realitysteve.com/blog.

But what do I know? Maybe Steve should show us a screen cap of his general settings page, or at least type everything in.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 02:36 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
here's what the settings look like:

so i should make the "Blog address (URL)" just "http://realitysteve.com", correct? is that's what's causing the comments and recent posts problems?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:07 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
when i click to change "Blog address" i get this:

Warning: Modifying this field will cause your permalinks to malfunction. We strongly recommend that you do not change this field.

Please note that this field should match the web address of your blog installation directory. If you chose to make your blog your home page when you installed WordPress, your blog was automatically configured to display at your domain. You should NOT change the value of this field to match your domain.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 04:43 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Okay. So, assuming that you initially installed WP into the /blog subdirectory, the URL settings in "General" don't look they're the source of any problem.

Did you recently change the Permalink setting? If so, putting that back to "Default" might solve the problem. Using a Permalink setup other than the default is a good idea, but you have to be ready to deal with the .htaccess file which somehow (magic?) re-directs everything to your existing blog post and comments after you've effectively changed their URL's.

If you do change Permalinks back to "Default", or whatever it might have been before, try logging in and out of WP a few times, trying to access the "missing" posts and comments, closing down your browser and clearing the cache and the like.

...and that's about all the 'good' ideas I have. If you haven't already consulted the WP Codec and Forums you should get over there.

Again, good luck!
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:04 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
thanks so much shepherd jim. here's what i see when i click on permalinks:

which option do you think i should go with? i have not touched it since the switch to the new template.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 05:49 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
I've clicked on the non-working links to your posts, they're all set up following the "Date and Name Based" Permalink structure which is chosen in your WP Settings.

Eg. "http://realitysteve.com/blog/2009/03/13/reality-roundup-31309-the-rest-of-the-megan-parris-interview/"

Do you know for sure WHEN you changed the Permalink setting from the default?

I'm pretty certain you're safe in changing Permalinks back to default and seeing if maybe all the posts and comments re-appear. If they don't, you'd just change the setting back to what it shows right now.

Any chance you or anyone you know might have bookmarked one of your posts recently? It would be interesting to see what the URL structure was like:

".../blog/2009/03/13/reality-roundup-31309-the-rest-of-the-megan-parris-interview/" OR
".../blog/?p=194" (note: that would be a "default" Permalink)

Wish I knew more.
Old Mar 19, 2009, 06:43 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
i switched to "default". can you tell me what you see now?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 10:59 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
what would happen if i go to MANAGE > EXPORT and exported an eXtended RSS then imported that file. would it bring back the comments? would i end up with doubled posts?
Old Apr 1, 2009, 02:45 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
wanted to bump this. i still haven't figured it out. maybe someone has some new ideas?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 04:49 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You installed Wordpress in domain.com/blog but want to have it running on domain.com

You'd either have to re-install Wordpress, this time in the root domain.com instead of a subdirectory

Or use this guide to keep the Wordpress installation in a subdirectory as you have it now, but have it running at domain.com/

http://codex.wordpress.org/Giving_Wo..._Own_Directory
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:42 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
so do you think it's the location of the blog files that's causing the problems with the comments?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 12:48 PM
alleyooptroop

14 posts · Mar 2009
@flynn

btw, my webhost won't allow a .htaccess file so it seems like following the instructions on that link aren't possible.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:44 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Consider re-installing WP, this time in the domain root domain.com

The WP export function works well, it exports all posts and comments