Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Static text/banner image before posts in "posts page"

Old Jul 5, 2009, 05:44 PM
verbalicious

6 posts · Jul 2009
Pardon me if this has already been asked, but I've been searching the forums since yesterday to no avail. I have the Wordpress reading settings option for a "posts page" enabled. It's currently showing a single post at a time on this designated page, and is working well with next/prev navigation for posts therein. The first thing displayed in this "posts page" is the first post's title. How can I add static text/images before the first/only post title that appears on this page?

TIA!
Old Jul 6, 2009, 06:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Are these text/images going to be part of the post? Only on the first post/page (ie if you go to the next post/page you want it gone)?

What version of Atahualpa are you on?
What version of Wordpress?
Old Jul 12, 2009, 12:11 PM
verbalicious

6 posts · Jul 2009
Sorry for the delay, and thanks very much for the reply.

Atahualpa 3.4, Wordpress 2.8

I would like this static text/banner to appear above every post on my "posts page" -- e.g., it will stay with the page when the visitor hits next/prev. My reasoning behind this is aesthetic, just trying to create a sort of title header for this posts page. It should not be part of the post itself. Hope that clarifies.
Old Jul 14, 2009, 07:50 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Add it somewhere at Style & Edit CENTER COLUMN -> Content ABOVE the LOOP
Old Jul 25, 2009, 03:10 PM
verbalicious

6 posts · Jul 2009
The "above the loop" inserts seem to put my banner above every page, but I'd like to only have it over my posts page. Is there PHP function which only echoes the text if it's my posts page?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
you could use the 'is_posts()' function in an if in your code
Old Aug 30, 2009, 02:50 PM
verbalicious

6 posts · Jul 2009
My very late reply! I tried the following in my above the loop content code to no avail (nothing is printed):

<?php if ( is_posts() ) { ?>

My banner text

<?php } ?>

..Help
Old Aug 31, 2009, 10:29 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Use is_single() for single post pages
Old Sep 5, 2009, 12:55 PM
verbalicious

6 posts · Jul 2009
Flynn and juggledad, thanks for your replies. Still unable to see my banner text here. I wonder if my syntax is wrong? This snippet is the first PHP that appears in the "Content ABOVE the LOOP" box in the "Style & edit CENTER COLUMN" section.

<?php if ( is_single() ) { ?>

My banner text

<?php } ?>

I've also tried replacing "My banner text" with an echo statement. My posts page still shows the post title as the first text on the page.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 04:24 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what's the url showing an example? this is odd because I just copied your code and I get 'My banner text' as the first thing in the center column.

Make sure that this code is not mixed in with the other code in the "Content ABOVE the LOOP" I put it as the very first thing.

Copy the entiry "Content ABOVE the LOOP" and paste it here so I can look at it.
Old Sep 12, 2009, 12:02 PM
verbalicious

6 posts · Jul 2009
I reset the Style/Edit Center Column page to defaults, and then re-pasted my echo statement. Still no dice, although I did learn something. When I click on my left navbar link to the single posts page, it does not display "My banner text." However, if I preview a post from within the "Add new post" in WPAdmin interface, "My banner text" does display. It will continue to display as I use Next/Prev navigation to jump between my two example posts.. but when I click on my left nav bar element to go to my posts page, "my banner text" disappears. Hope this sheds some light on this.

Here is my "above the loop" PHP:

<?php if ( is_single() ) { ?>

My banner text

<?php } ?>

<?php /* For MULTI post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_page_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* For SINGLE post pages if activated at ATO -> Next/Previous Navigation: */
bfa_next_previous_post_links('Top'); ?>

<?php /* For the plugin Page2Cat http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/ */
if( is_category() AND function_exists('page2cat_output')) { page2cat_output($cat); } ?>
Old Sep 15, 2009, 09:27 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Ok, now I see what is happening. Terminology, Terminology, Terminology.

While you might think that if you set the maximum posts to show on a blog page to 1 (dashboard->settings->reading->Blog pages show at most [ ] posts) that the test 'is_single()' would work, but it will not because the blog page is considered a non-single page. Once you jump to the single post pages, then the banner shows up.

If you only want the banner to show up on the pages with single posts and you want the banner to show up on the blog page and any of the single pages, you could use
HTML Code:
<?php if ( is_single()  or is_home() ) { ?>

My banner text

<?php } ?>
Old Nov 12, 2010, 03:59 AM
rayrey

4 posts · Oct 2010
Dubai
How about I want to show an static image above the post on all pages and categories.
please check my blog: http://rayrey.com

Kindly help
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:13 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Put the image code in 'The contents ABOVE the LOOP'
Old Nov 12, 2010, 05:27 AM
rayrey

4 posts · Oct 2010
Dubai
well, thank you it works!