Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Adding Contact form functions?

Old Apr 26, 2011, 02:08 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
As a total novice to WP, & not knowledgeable about current technology & jargon, I've been struggling for *months* to assemble my site on WP, rather than continue with my 13-yr-old WYSIWYG webpage editor. A friend recommended Ata, & I'm mostly overwhelmed by all that I see in WP/Ata settings.

I've slowly managed to build the first 2 dozen pages on a "test" installation, feeling confident enough to duplicate this work on my actual biz domain, & finally have my most critical pages running on WP.

The big hurdle yet to leap is getting a good Contact page. My friend suggested "Formidable Forms", but that also completely flummoxed me. I contacted the maker, & one of the problems they indicated is that FF won't allow me to route emails to different email addresses based on the drop-down menu selection (at least not without learning to program first!)

Here's what I'm looking to do that my current Contact form does:
My contact page contains a few sentences of (my) text before the form, & a drop down menu for "Subject" where each choice routes to a different email address

I'd also like to add some security test like Captcha.

Is there a better solution?

Please keep in mind I do best with plain English non-technical jargon, & I don't code.

Thanks!
Ric
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:25 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I second the Gravity Forms.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:43 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
Thanks, STB, for the link about "pipes" & Contact Form 7. I've seen a number of mentions of this plugin, & (more or less) understand the explanation about amending the drop-down choices with "pipes".

I'll find time to experiment with this over the next few days...

One additional question: using the "Page Edit" in HTML view, will I see the drop-down list I've created, & be able to add the pipes & associated email addresses there?

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 27, 2011, 06:03 PM
wp-novice

17 posts · Apr 2011
San Rafael, CA
Having spent two days researching the Ata forums & WP forums & other resources I could find, BEFORE posing my question, & spending more hours trying to decipher the horribly composed instructions on the Contactform7.com site, I finally tried the indicated 'drop-down menu for recipients" ...

Actually, I tried all sorts of ways to do this, over the last DAY, before finally striking on the method which worked.

For any others who care, here's what I discovered, in plain English instructions:

After installing & activating "Contact Form 7" plugin, in CF7 Settings, copy the code in the colored bar, & paste to your chosen page in the desired location. Click Save below the colored bar.

To create a drop down menu with different email routing (hidden from site visitor):
Choose "Generate Tag" in the "Form Section", & in the "Choices" box, follow this format:
List the first choice to be seen in the menu, then a vertical bar (Shift-backslash) with no spaces, followed by the email address, then Return on the keyboard.
Repeat for each choice in the menu.

Copy the resulting code in the first colored bar in this section, & paste it into the left-hand "Form" section, in the desired location.

Copy the code in the second colored bar in the right-hand section, & paste it in BOTH the "To" field & the "Additional headers" field of the "Mail" section.

At the bottom of the page, click "Save" & test the actual form on your site (after reloading the page).