Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Child pages don't keep parent page in menu highlighted

Old Oct 1, 2009, 01:30 AM
ribbu

5 posts · Jul 2009
I've found a few posts that sort of address this problem but haven't found anything that solves it:

When I am on a child page, I would like the parent page name in the menu bar to stay its rollover color.
For example, the parent page is called "Buy Stuff"

When I'm on the "Buy Stuff" page, the words "Buy Stuff" in the menu bar are red, to differentiate it from pages that I'm NOT on.

But when I click on the child page, called "Apparel", the "Buy Stuff" turns back to black, so no one knows what parent page "Apparel" is related to.

I would like for the parent page to stay red in the menu bar when I'm on the child page.

Any ideas?

Thanks -

ALSO: the same goes for the child pages. I would like for the sidebar menu item to stay highlighted when I'm on the actual page I've clicked on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 1.png
Views:	8357
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	268  Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2.png
Views:	8094
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	269  

Last edited by ribbu; Oct 1, 2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: noticed a similar problem in the sidebar menu item
Old Nov 6, 2009, 06:47 AM
thesis

46 posts · Nov 2009
I'm having the same issue...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
artemesia66

10 posts · Oct 2009
I'd really like to know how to do this as well.

It seems to have something to do with li class="page_item current_page_item", which goes off of the parent page when the child page is active, but I need adult supervision to know how to do anything about it.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:32 PM
ribbu

5 posts · Jul 2009
For other folks who are looking for this info, I just stumbled on this thread

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...+styling+pages

which might help. I'm still trying to figure it out myself, but I've gotten part of it to work.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:57 PM
ribbu

5 posts · Jul 2009
Still not having any luck getting the parent pages to stay the right color.

But FYI, for people like me who didn't know any better, this has something to do with using the flexipages plugin to make my sidebars out of subpages.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 08:18 AM
artemesia66

10 posts · Oct 2009
I'm not using Flexi-pages, just the basic atahualpa drop downs. I was able to control the top level menu color by using:
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent a {
color: #000000;
background-color: #C5C5C5;
}
Old Dec 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
deuxetoiles

44 posts · Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemesia66
I'm not using Flexi-pages, just the basic atahualpa drop downs. I was able to control the top level menu color by using:
}

Hi, thanks for the code. It does what you say, but I'm finding that once you are on one of those child pages, the background color of the entire sub-menu is changed to that color (in my case, grey instead of white). Does anyone know how to let the children on the sub-menu retain their "unhovered" state?

You can see on this page on my site here how the Story menu is all grey, when "Story" and "Blog" are meant to be grey and the others white.

Thanks so much.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:12 AM
artemesia66

10 posts · Oct 2009
I'm the furthest thing from an expert on this stuff, but here's what I'm using:

}

ul#rmenu2 li.rMenu-expand ul.rMenu-ver li.page_item a{
background-color:#E9E9E9;
color: #545454;
}

ul#rmenu2 li.rMenu-expand ul.rMenu-ver li.page_item a:hover{
}

So far, it doesn't seem to have broken anything else on the site. I'm not sure if this is quite how you want it to function, but it's logical and it should give you a start to tweaking your own to your taste. You can see how it works at:
http://www.orderchaosart.com

Love paintings, BTW.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 04:30 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
deuxetoiles,
You are using this CSS Insert:
HTML Code:
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent a:link,
ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent a:active,
ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent a:hover,
ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent a:visited,
ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent {
color:#000000;
background-color:#EEEEEE
}
Because of the a's at the end, it effects all the <a>'s for that element AND it's decendents. By removing all the a's you will only effect the 'current_page_parent'. Then you just need to use selector for teh current page item. Try this in place of the css insert you are currently using
HTML Code:
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_parent {
color:#00FFFF;
}
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a:link,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a:active,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a:hover,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item a:visited,
div#menu1 ul.rMenu li.current_page_item {
color:#000000;
}

Last edited by juggledad; Dec 15, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:06 AM
artemesia66

10 posts · Oct 2009
Hmm. Well, thanks, but I tried this and it gave me very inconsistent colors in the top level items and the drop-downs, depending on whether I had an item selected that had no drop down, a top level item in a menu that has a drop down, or an item in a drop down.

why is what I have no good?
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:34 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Sorry artemesia66, my reply was directed at deuxetoiles's issue, you snuck in between when I looked at teh issue deuxetoiles had and when I posted. When I wrote my reply I just went back to the last post to get the name.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 09:44 AM
artemesia66

10 posts · Oct 2009
I'm not sure I have an issue. As far as I can tell, it's working fine, but if you can see a way to make the code cleaner, then great.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
deuxetoiles

44 posts · Dec 2009
Thanks, Juggledad! It seems to work well!