Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Placing cells within the pages of my site

Old Mar 19, 2009, 08:24 PM
nickcee

27 posts · Feb 2009
Hi,

I have several questions....I felt it would be best to place them all into one post so you can get over all idea of what I'm trying to do to the structure of my site.

- I would like to place aprox. two to six cells into the body of my site pages, Is it possible to do this on certain pages but not others? Can one page have two cells and another have six cells?

- In the header and header image area of my site I would like to split both into two cells.

- I would like to move the navigation bar to sit right above the header image.

- I would also like to get rid of the sidebars on all of the pages of my site....unless it's not advisible to do this.

Last edited by nickcee; Apr 5, 2009 at 10:08 PM. Reason: would like to change the layout of my site
Old Apr 6, 2009, 10:58 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
1) Probably best to create a page template for this, then go editing the pages where you want to use this page template, an option "templates" will be there (which wasn't there when you had no page templates). Choose "Six Cells" there.

To create a page template, make a copy of index.php as i.e. "six-cells.php".

At the very top of six-cells.php, put this:

PHP Code:
<?php
/*
Template Name: Six Cells
*/
?>

Edit six-cells.php and put a table with 6 cells wherever you want it, i.e.

right after <?php get_header(); ?> to have it on the top of the middle columns

or right before <?php get_footer(); ?> to have it at the bottom of the middle column.

HTML Code:
<table class="six-cells" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td class="cell1"> CELL 1 </td>
<td class="cell2"> CELL 2 </td>
<td class="cell3"> CELL 3 </td>
<td class="cell4"> CELL 4 </td>
<td class="cell5"> CELL 5 </td>
<td class="cell6"> CELL 6 </td>
</tr>
</table>

At HTML/CSS Inserts -> CSS Inserts add, i.e.

HTML Code:
table.six-cells {
width: 100%;
...other styles
}
table.six-cells td {
padding-right: 10px;
}
td.cell6 {
padding-right: 0;
}
Create a template for the 2 cells too: file name "two-cells.php", Template name "Two Cells".

HTML Code:
<table class="two-cells" border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">
<tr>
<td class="cell1"> CELL 1 </td>
<td class="cell2"> CELL 2 </td>
</tr>
</table>
CSS Insert

HTML Code:
table.two-cells {
width: 100%;
...other styles
}
table.two-cells td.cell1 {
padding-right: 10px;
}
Upload both page templates to the theme's main directory i.e. /wp-content/themes/atahualpa332/

Wordpress will automatically recognize these page templates and they will be available when you edit or create a page. See attached image

3.) See Theme Options -> Header -> Configure Header Area

4.) Theme Options -> Sidebars -> Uncheck all checkboxes at
LEFT sidebar: Display on: / RIGHT sidebar: Display on:

2.) You will have to edit bfa_header_config.php for this, and repeat this change with each theme update. It would be cleaner to turn off header parts you don't want at Theme Options -> Header -> Configure Header Area, and then add your new content in header.php

PHP Code:
       <!-- Header -->
        <td id="header" colspan="<?php echo $cols?>">
Your content HERE -->        
        <?php bfa_header_config($bfa_ata['configure_header']); ?>
Or, your content HERE -->
        </td>
        <!-- / Header -->
I will add 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 cell widget areas in the next theme versions. The way the header is now is not flexible enough however editing bfa_header_config seems very wasteful to me since you have to re-do this and I'll change the header area anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page-template.gif
Views:	1989
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	86  
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:20 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
Speaking of the next theme revision: since I had done so many changes to the header file, I'm wondering if I should hold steady at version 3.2 and wait for your next version? If you're going to make the header more flexible, that might be a good thing for me to do, no?

I would love to be able to easily do what I have now: the logo area has an our image logo in the left cell of a 2-cell table row, and an ad banner is in the right.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 11:48 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
I suggest that you stay with your current version unless you need something that is only in 3.3.2
Old Apr 10, 2009, 09:37 PM
nickcee

27 posts · Feb 2009
Thanks for this...I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Sorry for the late reply...had computer problems to fix.
Old Apr 13, 2009, 06:32 PM
nickcee

27 posts · Feb 2009
Please excuse my newbie question but....what type of editing program should I be using to add the new coding and then upload my new template pages? Gees, I feel dumb asking that. Sorry Flynn.

Another question...regarding the header. Your suggesting that I wait on making any changes to the header area right?

Last edited by nickcee; Apr 13, 2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2009, 07:11 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You can use any plain text editor, one that doesn't add any formatting. Notepad or Notepad++ (free) or if you're looking for something more powerful Ultraedit

The theme is still changing a lot under the hood even though I try to avoid this due to the huge number of existing installations. You could as well just use the current version, customize that, leave out the next 2-3 versions and upgrade then.
Old May 11, 2009, 04:43 PM
nickcee

27 posts · Feb 2009
I've decided to work with UltraEdit...the problem I have is that I don't know how to properly save my file...when I go to "save as" there is no .PHP file extension there.

Maybe it's the way I'm extracting the information from my site. I'm just copying and pasting the coding. Is there a better way to open the index.php file in UltraEdit?
Old May 11, 2009, 07:36 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
There should be no need to choose a "Save as PHP", if you just give it the name i.e. "index.php" Ultraedit should automatically figure out that it is PHP. Most likely a settings issue, PHP is a every day task for Ultraedit.

P.S.: I am currently using Notepad++ because I changed computers and didn't have the old Ultraedit license code anymore. But I am about to buy Ultraedit again. I just couldn't make up my mind yet between the U3 version for a USB stick and the desktop version.
Old May 12, 2009, 02:29 PM
nickcee

27 posts · Feb 2009
Okay, I'll look into that and try saving it the way you suggest.

So copying and pasting the coding directly into UltraEdit is alright then?
Old May 13, 2009, 04:16 PM
nickcee

27 posts · Feb 2009
I have this all figured out. Your suggestions are correct. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2009, 03:01 PM
Brussells

9 posts · May 2009
Hi,

I've followed the template/cell information you've suggested, which was easy to follow.

However I have a couple of questions please:

- I've lost the rightside bar. Any ideas why this may be?

- When creating pages I select the 2-cell template but the onscreen display doesnt change and I'm unable to edit/input into each 'cell' of the table. Inputting text and images doesn't indicate where each part will be, and in which cell. The only way I've been able to get the information to appear in the correct cell is paste the text into the 2-cell template page, via the editor. This would be ok for one page but I have about 20 pages I wish to use the 2 cell layout for. Surely that's the point of a template, so therefore I think I've done something wrong.

- The information, once pasted in (see point above) appears above the Page heading. Can't see where or why. This may well be related to template problems I've been having.

Please let me know if more information is needed to help solve the issues.

Eagerly awaiting your response
Old May 21, 2009, 12:59 PM
Brussells

9 posts · May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brussells
Hi,

I've followed the template/cell information you've suggested, which was easy to follow.

However I have a couple of questions please:

- I've lost the rightside bar. Any ideas why this may be?

- When creating pages I select the 2-cell template but the onscreen display doesnt change and I'm unable to edit/input into each 'cell' of the table. Inputting text and images doesn't indicate where each part will be, and in which cell. The only way I've been able to get the information to appear in the correct cell is paste the text into the 2-cell template page, via the editor. This would be ok for one page but I have about 20 pages I wish to use the 2 cell layout for. Surely that's the point of a template, so therefore I think I've done something wrong.

- The information, once pasted in (see point above) appears above the Page heading. Can't see where or why. This may well be related to template problems I've been having.

Please let me know if more information is needed to help solve the issues.

Eagerly awaiting your response
OK i've kinda progressed a little.
- Rightside bar is back! I realised that I'd not copied index.php correctly and was missing some content. Having created a new two-cells template I've now got it back to how it should be.
- Cant see any way to edit the text other than direct on to the template.....but then it's not a template any more....and i'll need to create a new 'template' for every page. Is this what I should be doing or is something not working correctly?

Please can someone help me
Old May 21, 2009, 02:32 PM
Brussells

9 posts · May 2009
AH....what's going on! Now the template is showing on EVERY page, despite certain pages having the Default Template selected, and not the Two Cell Template selected.

Assistance would be great
Old May 22, 2009, 01:13 AM
Brussells

9 posts · May 2009
All figured out now......sorted it myself. Either I misread the instructions or they weren't quite clear.