Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

Wordpress 3.0

Old Mar 7, 2010, 02:20 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
In case Flynn has been so immersed in Themeframe development that he hasn't been watching changes over at Wordpress.org: Wordpress 3.0 is coming along nicely. I'm beta/alpha testing it on one of my sites. A big, huge, wonderful improvement: they've folded the Woo Themes Custom Nagivation into the core. Now, you'll be able to combine pages, categories and even outside URLs into your menus. http://wordpress.org/development/201...-patch-sprint/

There is a new Menus section under Appearance. I just made one with 3 pages and 2 categories, plus a link to an outside news site. Fantastic!

There is a new widget which allows you to put your new menus in sidebars. Really useful! I don't know how you'd put one in one of Atahualpa's Page or Category menu areas in the header, however.

Last edited by paulae; Mar 7, 2010 at 02:33 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:27 PM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
I came to the forum today to see if Atahualpa would be WordPress 3.0 ready ???
Old Mar 11, 2010, 06:33 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
I'm having no problems with Wordpress 3.0 and Atahualpa 3.4.6 on my test site.

Some options in the theme won't be necessary anymore with WP 3.0, so I let Flynn know.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 09:11 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Hey Paulae,

How stable is WP 3.0?

I have the link to the trunk build but haven't installed it yet; was thinking of just waiting until it's "official" beta release to the general public.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:43 AM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
It seems stable to me, but I haven't really put it through its paces on my test site. So far, no glitches in the admin area, especially moving widgets around. That had been a problem with other upgrades.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:14 AM
Rashell

67 posts · May 2009
Sounds pretty cool. Gonna have to check out the Woo themes navigation.

I'd been swapping out my navigation with menus I'd custom built using the plugin Menubar. It builds all the menu types you'd mentioned. And uses a simple template tag type code so you can pop them anywhere you want. But I really grabbed it cause there was a bunch of different templates you could use to display your menus. I use the Superfish drop down a lot.

It builds tag trees with the ability to exclude tags, which is super useful to me.

I just recently asked for the ability to create collapsing category structures for sidebar menus. Most of the plugins I've seen only do that for pages or won't allow for much customization.

Anywho... many thanks for the heads up!

Rashell
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:44 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Hey Rashell, thanks for mentioning Menubar, I was unaware of it.

I tried it in a WP 2.9 install and it worked great, but when I tried it in WP 3, it wouldn't work.

Hopefully they'll update it after WP3 is out.

Cheers,
Chase.

Last edited by ChaseMann; Mar 13, 2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: follow-up
Old Mar 13, 2010, 09:46 AM
ChaseMann

71 posts · Dec 2009
San Diego, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulae
It seems stable to me, but I haven't really put it through its paces on my test site. So far, no glitches in the admin area, especially moving widgets around. That had been a problem with other upgrades.
I think I'll try it out and see what happens then.
**Edit**
I tried it out and it's not what I thought. I thought the new menu system would let you "skin" your menus too, but apparently it's just for creating the menus and you have to still skin them separately with theme/css. Oh well.

The only part of Atahualpa I've never been able to customize were the menus without breaking my site, so I'm excited to see the possibilities with WP 3.

ThemeFrame is more complicated than I anticipated so I'm not going to design with it until I can put a lot of time into it and really figure it out.

Last edited by ChaseMann; Mar 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: follow-up