Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Anyway to make this theme load faster?

Old May 29, 2010, 12:37 PM
globalnerds

43 posts · Nov 2009
Saratoga Springs, NY
.htaccess is as follows:

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END

The hosting is godaddy. I have seen other postings about them being slow, but I have other sites on godaddy without this issue. I will disable all plugins and enable one at a time as you suggested... Thanks!
Old May 29, 2010, 12:38 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Just as a test can you temporarily disable the Daves Live Search plugin? This is only a hunch. To test all of the plugins you could of course disable all and start adding them back in one a time to see when the load time goes up. Your queries only show 2 with a time of 3+ seconds. I have a site that shows 110 queries with a time of less than one half second.
Old May 29, 2010, 12:57 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
You must have disabled the plugins. Now I'm getting 137 queries. 0.830 seconds.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Something made a big difference.
Old May 29, 2010, 01:51 PM
paulae

1,333 posts · Feb 2009
Wordpress 3.4.1, Atahualpa 3.7.7
It's slowing down again: 8 queries. 1.674 seconds just now. I see he has Pixopoint plugin running. He should try disabling that. I wonder if it needs to be integrated in the theme, and since he's trying the new theme, maybe he hasn't put the code in the right place? So this might be causing a hang-up?

Last edited by paulae; May 29, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:23 AM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
You are all SO good at this....maybe you could take a quick look at my site and let me know what you are seeing:

www.theadventurebite.com

My internet is pretty slow but my site seems a little slower than most. Really like what I have going with it but am open to adding/removing things to speed it up. I have quite a few plugins so I am working on trimming that down but didn't know if you could see any that were really hanging things up.

Thanks!

Dani
Old Jun 3, 2010, 11:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Dani,
Firebug reports the page load at 3.066 seconds but there is an error
HTML Code:
ajaxurl is not defined
 (function(b){var a={add:"ajaxAdd",del:...List.process();return this}})(jQuery);
wp-lists.js line 1
Old Jun 6, 2010, 07:20 PM
kappuz

5 posts · Aug 2009
i just found this thread... i was wondering whether anyone can take a look at my site? www.imaginacionatrapada.com.ar

it goes kind of slow, specially the imaginacion atrapada TV section www.imaginacionatrapada.com.ar/tv/

there's a great chance it¡s the hosting's server, but maybe i can do something to speed things up a little bit, because http://www.imaginacionatrapada.com.a...enes-alteradas loads a lot better - it's quite plain, but anyway...

thanx in advance
D
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
theadventurebite

136 posts · May 2010
Hi Juggledad,

Thanks for the reply. Can you take a quick peek at my site again: www.theadventurebite.com.

I am gettting quite a few errors and I am not sure where to even start looking to fix them. I am really hesitant to go digging in my backend files without knowing what I am doing

Thanks so much!
Old Jun 30, 2010, 08:41 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what kind of errors? I don't see any when I go to the site.
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Use Wp Super Cache or WP Cache 2 as plugin, make sure you run a PHP cache like XCache, have mod_deflate (Apache 2) or mod_gzip (Apache 1) or Gzip (other webservers) enabled by the web host. The performance of the web server (hardware and software) and MySQL server can have a much greater impact than optimizations on the theme.
About Gzip - I went to my host (godaddy.com) and their help page says to make gzip work by adding the following code to the very top of my web pages above the DOCTYPE:
<?php if (substr_count($_SERVER['HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING'], 'gzip')) ob_start("ob_gzhandler"); else ob_start(); ?>

Two questions:
1. Does this make sense with Atahualpa?
2. How do it do this?
Thanks, Ed
Old Sep 24, 2010, 06:36 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You will have to edit header.php and put it in - watch the php/HTML escaping

As to if it is a good idea, try it and see if it improves things.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
juggledad - you said "watch the php/HTML escaping" - Forgive me, please, but I don't know what that means. Ed
Old Sep 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I mean you have to be careful when adding php or Html/ In this case you should be fine, I jut looked at header.php and you can drop that in 'as is' as the first line with no worries
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:01 AM
ewlong

10 posts · May 2010
Thanks - by the way, I have two separate WordPress sites, both running Atahualpa, both hosted on GoDaddy - one is running slower than molasses, the other is quite quick. Looks like Atahualpa isn't a meaningful factor in the slowdown.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
That could be an indication that the two sites are on two different servers and one has a lighter load than the other

Last edited by juggledad; Nov 4, 2010 at 03:07 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:20 PM
cnymike

3 posts · Nov 2010
I also thought that having the CSS external was faster since it would be cached. I don't know what to think about this.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:08 PM
Context Canada

18 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks. I found the web analysis extremely useful. I had a plug in that I wasn't using that was sucking 20 seconds of time.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:38 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
another thing to check is the number of other sites sharing your server. You can use domaintools.com to look at this info.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:52 PM
mcphoto

120 posts · Apr 2009
I solved all of my Atahualpa speed problems by moving from GoDaddy and one&1 to HostGator. Gator's very fast.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 02:49 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharialexander
Okie-dokie...I made the image adjustments that Juggledad suggested and added the timer paulae suggested into the source code. It says it takes about 7 seconds. Now, I hope I'm not crazy in wanting it to be closer to 2 or 3 seconds. Is there something I'm missing? I go to other sites with this theme and it doesn't take that long.

I REALLY appreciate all your help! Hoping to get this solved. Thanks!
Your top banner is 146K in size and takes 2 seconds to load according to my Firebug. You should consider reducing its size, e.g. with this image optimizer. You may also consider reducing the size of the images used in your posts.
Old May 11, 2011, 04:49 PM
vincent

64 posts · Nov 2010
I have to concur that ATA does slow a WP site considerably. I've tested other themes with same plugins load much faster :-(

BTW, the test here http://www.webpagetest.org/ mentions
DOM Elements = 189
Is this affecting load times and something that can be reduced?

Also, the css and js are dynamically generated like this when selecting the option for them to be external: /?bfa_ata_file=css
Could this be adding to load?

We all know speed is ever more important, so any optimisation of the theme itself would really be appreciated.
Many thanks,

- Vincent
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:05 AM
tnandrick

43 posts · Nov 2010
I don't know if this is the proper place to post this question, but my question is along lines of performance, albeit very general.

What is a "baseline" number of queries w/Atahualpa and NO plugins? I utilize a number of them, and right now my site hits about 40 queries a page. Good? Bad?

I realize I could deactivate plug-ins myself and check myself, but I have had problems in the past with losing settings upon deactivation.

Thanks,

Tim
Old Jun 4, 2011, 09:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
why not create a 'playground' site you can mess with? you can create a new database, install wordpress in a subfolder pointing at the new database and then experiment. If you have a domain already, you can put it in a subfolder of the root (call it 'wp-test') of the domain and then get to it with 'htt;://yourdomain.com/wp-test.

at ato->Style & edit FOOTER->Show number of queries & timer? you can turn it on to see.

FYI Atahualpa only has 1 row in the database.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 10:19 AM
tnandrick

43 posts · Nov 2010
Thanks for the idea.

And I do have the timer/queries enabled, but I did not activate it 'til recently, and realized I didn't really have a "baseline" to check against.

Am I wrong to assume that SQL queries are going to be the "heaviest" (in terms of load speed) factors?

Also, what about CSS rules that aren't applied every page, e.g., I'm using contact form 7. I have disabled JS and CSS for it, but I still had to create a bunch of CSS selectors to style it effectively. I added these changes in CSS inserts sections, but I don't know if it's "wasting" time to apply these rules to every page when they are only needed on one page. Would it be better to apply inline selectors in the body of that particular page?