Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

[SOLVED] creating magazine style divisions

Old Apr 30, 2012, 10:13 AM
BTI

8 posts · Jan 2011
Canada
Hi All,

Is it at all possible to modify the theme in order to have specific divisions on the front page? (like magazine themes) I really like this theme and do not want to change for a magazine theme.

How does one proceed?
1. do I need to create a static page?
2. Then I would have to create widgets that show posts from certain categories?

was anyone able to do it? Any examples you can share?

Thanks in advance,
Old Apr 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
one way you could probably do this would to juse use two sidebars. Say the page width is 960px, make the left inner sidebar 640 px and the right inner sidebar 300 px. You only display these two sidebars on the front page and don't display the center area.

Now just add in widgets that will display what you want.
Old Apr 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
BTI

8 posts · Jan 2011
Canada
JuggleDad, Great idea, will get to testing tonight!

Thank you so much!
Old May 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
What would be WAY super cool would be a way to have rows in the "content" area of the site that could have any number of columns in each row. Saw something like this in Project Seven's latest plug-in (http://www.projectseven.com/products...oser/index.htm). Problem with their stuff is it's so dang complicated...
Old May 10, 2012, 04:09 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
take a look at the 'multi column/custom query' template that is now provided since 3.7.5
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:33 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
A plugin that looks interesting in this regard is Site Layout Customizer.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:22 PM
tbaxter

92 posts · May 2012
Germantown, MD
Larry- thanks so much for following up with that-that REALLY looks interesting, and may be what I'm looking for. Wow. Have to explore it.