Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Not able to edit pages

Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:15 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
I'm not sure if this is a plugin problem but suspect this recurring instability may have been caused by a plug in installation

Every so often I am unable to re-edit specific page (never posts) - I just get a grey screen no editor

I also notice that on no pages does the Quick Edit work

Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:19 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if you switch to the default theme, do you get the same issue?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 04:28 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
Good suggestion but before I do that, when I switch back will all my settings be preserved

& is there a back up mechanism that doesn't involve MySQL ? e.g. like an XML file with all the settings in it ?
Old Aug 29, 2009, 06:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
All the Atahualpa theme settings are stored in the wp-options table (ase are most theme settings). Swapping themes will not effect them.

As a matter of fact, one of the causes of 'bloating' a wordpress database is trying out lots of themes and plugins. Each one adds things to wp-options (and other places - some even create new tables), but very few have a 'uninstall' option that will remove what they put in there. There are notes out on the web for cleaning out the database to make it speedier.

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 31, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old Aug 31, 2009, 03:42 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
Hi there - yep switching themes seems to allow the editing function to come back

& my suspicion was that this all started when installing plugins

In fact, I have to now manually install any plugin now too !!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 05:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
what do you mean you have to manually install plugins?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 06:24 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
If I try Add New inside the editor it just hangs (i.e. says it's installing but nothing happens and a 0KB zip folder ends up on the web site

I have to download them & FTP them across

This all started early on after the initial ATO installation when I was building the blog

Would a fresh install be a good idea as I am on 3.4 not 3.4.1 ?

If so, can I just install it as a new theme & switch between as I think you've advised elsewhere ?
Old Aug 31, 2009, 07:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Have you tried switching to the default theme and then installing a plugin? (btw, I always FTP my plugins) Yes you can install the newest version of the theme (3.4.2) and you won't loose any settings - unless you actually made changes to the code itself
Old Sep 1, 2009, 11:11 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
Yes it looks like if I switch to a new theme the problem goes away

Incidentally when I switch to Atahualpa 3.4.2 it does have many of my settings but not for one of the sidebars

Is there perhaps a corruption in the original files I could reset by FTP'ing the original back up again ?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 05:06 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
As an update to this - I just installed the Sociable plug in (again) and then the ability to edit all pages dissappears (not just some of them) ...

When I use a different theme, I can edit any page - which gives me a great workaround

I kinda like the new theme I've picked too but it's not quite as funky or flexible as this one

Hope this helps therefore identify the prob ...
Old Sep 2, 2009, 06:01 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
What verwsion of WP and PHP?
Are there any error messages in the log or console. I can't recreate this at this point
Old Sep 3, 2009, 01:52 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
Hi there & sorry to be thick

How do I find out what version of WP & PHP ?

It seems that any new plug in unstabilises the theme and prevents editing - with Sociable activated when I tried to go back to ATO, it came up with a server error 500 !!

Do you think it's best to live with the workaround of editing in a different theme & flipping back while waiting for Themeframe ? http://wordpress.bytesforall.com/?p=75

Most of my pages for the new site are there now and I will just be adding posts for the forseeable
Old Sep 3, 2009, 04:29 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
You should see the wordpress version on the wordpress dashboard. For getting the PHP version - use the wp-security plugin (http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/) - this could be a memory issue - copy and paste all the info in the 'System Infomation Scan' area of the display.

Who is your ISP?

I would resolve this issue - it shouldn't be happening and if there is an error, there is no telling what might crop up in the future.

The 500 is an internal server error and needs to be tracked down

I would also make a backup of your database (use phpmyadmin or try wp-DBManager - http://downloads.wordpress.org/plugi...nager.2.50.zip) and backup the contents of wordpress/wp-content folder This way no matter what happens you can get back to where you are today.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:30 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
Thanks Database backup OK using the plug in apart from this message

Your backup folder MIGHT be visible to the public

To correct this issue, move the .htaccess file from wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager to /homepages/7/d124033759/htdocs/bookwrightBlog/wp-content/backup-db

I can't find where the latter is though

Re wp-security-scan/ when I activated it, it came up with this error replacing the whole wp-admin scrren

Error 500 - Internal server error
An internal server error has occured!
Please try again later.

- really appreciate your ongoing support on this one
Old Sep 3, 2009, 02:13 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Are you running on 1and1?

Quote:
Your backup folder MIGHT be visible to the public

To correct this issue, move the .htaccess file from wp-content/plugins/wp-dbmanager to /homepages/7/d124033759/htdocs/bookwrightBlog/wp-content/backup-db
There is a file in your 'wp-contents/plugins/wp-dbmanager' folder called 'htaccess.txt'. Move this file to
the '/wp-content/backup-db; folder and call it '.htaccess' - that will get rid if the message

------------
create a text file called phpinfo.php and put the following in it
HTML Code:
<?php 
if (! ($xmlparser = xml_parser_create()) ) { 
   die ("Cannot create parser");
	}
phpinfo() 
?>
ftp this file to the wordpress folder - then you can run it by using 'http://www.thebookwright.com/phpinfo.php' - it should tellus a lot about the php environment
Old Sep 4, 2009, 01:44 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
Hi there - yes I'm on 1and1

Have moved the htaccess file

The PHP script generated loads - see attached

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 4, 2009 at 05:18 AM. Reason: attachment removed
Old Sep 4, 2009, 05:17 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
AH HA! it's that ?@#@! 1and1 and their default php 4.
follow the instructions in this article and it will start you running php5
http://faq.1and1.com/scripting_langu...upgrade/6.html
and hopefully that should take care of your problems....unless it is a memory issue, but one thing at a time

Last edited by juggledad; Sep 7, 2009 at 10:51 AM.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 10:26 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
You are my new favourite person on the planet

Early days but I think that's solved it - give me 24 hours of testing & donation on its way
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:23 AM
thebookwright

23 posts · Jul 2009
Guildford
SOLVED !!! Many thanks again ... a lesson to me to follow instructions more carefully in future