Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

How to post on 2 seperate "Pages" or "Cats"

Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:37 PM
TPR

7 posts · Feb 2009
How to post on 2 seperate "Pages" or "Cats"

I need to be able to make posts and not have them appear on the main page. How can I do this?

I'm using the main page as a blog that will have post daily.

I need to be able to post to the secondary page and not have it show up on the first page.

What is the best way to set this up? Do I need a PlugIn?

I tried Page2Cat but it just bullet point lists Category Titles.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:19 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
To have posts of a certain category not show up on the home page, find, in index.php, around line 100-103, this:

PHP Code:
    <?php // Do this for all posts:

while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?>
(You might not have the $postcount++ part if your Atahualpa version is older)

and add the following right above it (to exclude posts of the category with the ID 3):
PHP Code:
<?php if ( is_home() AND !is_paged() ) {
query_posts($query_string "&cat=-3");
?>
To exclude posts from several categories, i.e. categories with the ID's 3, 7 and 11:

PHP Code:
query_posts($query_string "&cat=-3,-7,-11");
?>
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:48 PM
TPR

7 posts · Feb 2009
I do have that code. It's around line 41 though.

I was hoping that I could create a custom field or do something else. I would like to avoid having to update my index.php every time I post to the secondary page.

Any other Ideas or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 9.png
Views:	2684
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	48  
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:07 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Why would you have to update your index.php each time? If you want a new post to not appear on the homepage, put it into the category that you excluded with the above code.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 05:21 PM
TPR

7 posts · Feb 2009
I don't know what I was thinking, you're right.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 06:54 AM
TPR

7 posts · Feb 2009
The code works, the new posts are now only posting to the Category I want them to.

Is it possible to not have those posts show up in the "Recent Post" widget?

Also the posts to the Categories show up in a "Collapsed" state, not showing the content in the body, only the Title. Any idea about this?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 10:07 AM
Nad

3 posts · Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
To have posts of a certain category not show up on the home page, find, in index.php, around line 100-103, this:

PHP Code:
    <?php // Do this for all posts:

while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?>
(You might not have the $postcount++ part if your Atahualpa version is older)

and add the following right above it (to exclude posts of the category with the ID 3):
PHP Code:
query_posts($query_string "&cat=-3");
?>
To exclude posts from several categories, i.e. categories with the ID's 3, 7 and 11:

PHP Code:
query_posts($query_string "&cat=-3,-7,-11");
?>
Hello,

I found this post very helpful, however I tried it on my website: www.gametvweb.com didn't work, Actually the instruction
<?php // Do this for all posts:
while (have_posts()) : the_post(); $postcount++; ?> was in page.php file not the in index.php. I dont want to havefeatred articles to be posted on the main page, do u have any clew how to do it.
any help will be much appreciated.
thanks
Old Apr 2, 2009, 09:32 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You shouldn't have a page.php. What Atahualpa version do you have?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 01:35 AM
Nad

3 posts · Apr 2009
Sorry I don't know what is Atahualpa ? how can I know which version is? the only think I know is I'm using wordpress 2.7.1 !!!

But definitely the them has page.php file, I included the them file on this link http://www.gametvweb.com/theme/ please take a look at them and let me know what do u think?

Your help really appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 3, 2009, 07:47 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nad
Sorry I don't know what is Atahualpa ? how can I know which version is? the only think I know is I'm using wordpress 2.7.1 !!!

But definitely the them has page.php file, I included the them file on this link http://www.gametvweb.com/theme/ please take a look at them and let me know what do u think?

Your help really appreciated.

Thanks
You seem to be using another theme. I cannot support other developer's themes I'm afraid. I suggest that you ask on the blog of the developer of your theme.