Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

[SOLVED] Drop down menus disappearing because of a Flash object

Old Dec 20, 2010, 06:53 PM
ChuckMunson

9 posts · Dec 2010
[SOLVED] Drop down menus disappearing because of a Flash object

First of all, want to say how much I appreciate the Atahualpa theme. Been using it for websites for the past year and I'm recommending it to other web developers.

We ran into a problem today when we launched a new website for our client. (www.jma-it.com)

The drop-down menus (spawned from the category menu, which we converted to a page menu) are not displaying for Internet Explorer and Chrome users who visit the home page. The drop down menus work in Firefox and they work on all sub-pages for various browsers. The problem appears to be a Flash object we have snuggled underneath the menu bar. I added a non-breaking space in the header settings to see what was going on. It moved the Flash animation down and showed that the drop-down menus look like they are behind the Flash object when viewed with IE and Chrome.

Here is the Header code:

%image <div id="menu-center">%cat-center</div>
<?php if( is_front_page() && !is_paged()) { ?>
<div id="carousel" align="center">
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="100%" height="300px">
<param name="movie" value="carousel/presentation.swf?xml_path=carousel/slides.xml" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" />
<embed src="carousel/presentation.swf?xml_path=carousel/slides.xml" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%" height="300px" allowFullScreen="true"></embed>
</object>
</div>
<?php } ?>

Can we fix this with z-index or is there a bug here?

Thanks for any advice!

Chuck
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
ChuckMunson

9 posts · Dec 2010
I should add that we're using Atahualpa 3.5.2 and WordPress 3.0.1.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 07:22 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Try adding wmode="transparent" to the embed code. See example below.

<embed src="carousel/presentation.swf?xml_path=carousel/slides.xml" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%" height="300px" allowFullScreen="true" wmode="transparent"></embed>
Old Dec 20, 2010, 09:27 PM
ChuckMunson

9 posts · Dec 2010
Thanks for the advice. That seems to have solved the issue for Google Chrome, but IE is still not showing the menus.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 06:48 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
This may not fix the problem but do you have the sub-menu bug fixes in place?
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:52 PM
ChuckMunson

9 posts · Dec 2010
I installed the sub-menu fix but that didn't resolve the problem. That was uploading one file, right?

Guess I'll move on to seeing if z-index resolves the problem.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 07:55 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Also you might want to try turning off the menu animation. That has caused issues with some configurations.