Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] How to place NextGEN Gallery on the HomePage

Old Nov 1, 2010, 08:17 PM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Madeira Island - Portugal
Hi,

I'm working on a site www.acvideo.org with
WordPress v3.0.1, ATA v3.5.3 and latest version of NextGEN.

I want to place a NextGEN Gallery on the HomePage but can't find any thread about it. Is it possible? And if so what do I need to do?

How do I edit the HomePage?

Thanks
Old Nov 1, 2010, 11:14 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
What is the difficulty you are having? You should be able to just add the gallery into any post or page.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 01:16 PM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
What is the difficulty you are having? You should be able to just add the gallery into any post or page.
The problem is not adding a gallery to "any post or page", (The page "FOTOGRAFIA" has a gallery already installed) it's how to add a gallery into my Homepage. How do I add the code generated by NextGEN onto the HomePage.

When I'm on the WP dashboard and hit Pages, there is NO HOME page to edit. Perhaps there is a plugin to do that or maybe another solution.

BTW anyone know how to edit the thumbnails so as not to cut the heads on the pics?

Thanks

Gil
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:23 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
If you create a "home" page and set is as static in WordPress>Setting>Reading then you can just add the gallery on that page. You could also get into more complex solutions like creating a widget area etc. but it seems like the static page solution would be the easiest.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:31 PM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
If you create a "home" page and set is as static in WordPress>Setting>Reading then you can just add the gallery on that page. You could also get into more complex solutions like creating a widget area etc. but it seems like the static page solution would be the easiest.
In other words, you say I create a second HomePage. What do I do with the original Homepage , Delete it?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 04:52 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
In wordpress terminology, there is a 'home' page (the page that your blog posts show up on) and a 'front' page (the 'landing' page or page that shows up when you type in yourdomain.com)

They could be the same. The 'home' (blog) page is an automatically generated page. If you wanted to have a NextGEN gallery on the blog page - you could create a sticky post and add the nextgen code there.

or if you want your landing page to be just a gallery, create a page and put the nextgen code there. Then go to dashboard->reading-> front page displays and set it to your page
Old Nov 2, 2010, 05:52 PM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
In wordpress terminology, there is a 'home' page (the page that your blog posts show up on) and a 'front' page (the 'landing' page or page that shows up when you type in yourdomain.com)

They could be the same. The 'home' (blog) page is an automatically generated page. If you wanted to have a NextGEN gallery on the blog page - you could create a sticky post and add the nextgen code there.

or if you want your landing page to be just a gallery, create a page and put the nextgen code there. Then go to dashboard->reading-> front page displays and set it to your page
OK, so I created a new Page called INÍCIO (Home in Portuguese) as you sugested in your third paragraph (create a page » go to dashboard->reading-> front page » set it to INICIO » and made it a STATIC Page).

How do I now remove the HOME page from appearing on the Menu Bar?
Old Nov 2, 2010, 07:31 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
go to ATO->Page menubar and look at the options, one allows you to name the home page or if you blank it out, it removes it from the menu bar
Old Nov 2, 2010, 08:27 PM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggledad
go to ATO->Page menubar and look at the options, one allows you to name the home page or if you blank it out, it removes it from the menu bar
Wow, it's that simple. "Create a new Page and Blank out the HomePage". Thanks juggledad and lmilesw for your precious help.

I have another question related to NextGEN. Do you or anyone else know how to edit the thumbnails so as not to cut the heads on the pics?

Thanks
Gil
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:02 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
After you create a gallery to to Gallery>Manage Gallery, hover over the thumbnail and click edit thumb, then click and drag over the image on the left to define the area you want to use for the thumbnail image.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 09:36 PM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
After you create a gallery to to Gallery>Manage Gallery, hover over the thumbnail and click edit thumb, then click and drag over the image on the left to define the area you want to use for the thumbnail image.
I'm afraid there is NO "Edit Thumb" When I hover over the thumbnail I only see: View | Meta | Rotate | Delete

I've been googling for some info about this problem and aparently older versions show: View | Meta | Edit thumb | Rotate | Delete

I have Version 1.6.2. I wonder if they they (NextGEN) removed the "Edit Thumb" function in the newer versions? Doesn't make sense if its true.

Thanks

Gil
Old Nov 2, 2010, 10:28 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I am using 1.6.2. You are going to have to dig around. What version of WordPress are you using? Maybe there is plugin conflict.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 08:57 AM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
I am using 1.6.2. You are going to have to dig around. What version of WordPress are you using? Maybe there is plugin conflict.
Im using WordPress v3.0.1, ATA v3.5.3 and 1.6.2 version of NextGEN.

The only other plugins I have activated besides NextGEN are:
All in One SEO Pack Version 1.6.12.2 (the latest version) which is supposed to be compatible with WP 3.0.1
and Contact Form 7, Version 2.4.1 (installed and activated after this nextGEN problem)

OK, here's something really strange that I noticed. When I go to Gallery>Manage Gallery and hover over the thumbnail I only visually see:
View | Meta | Rotate | Delete

But if I right click and "Copy" View | Meta | Rotate | Delete

And now I "Paste" it to a Word document I get: View | Meta | Edit thumb | Rotate | Delete

Just like magic Edit thumb now appears after a Copy/Paste (on the Word document only).

What the hell is this? Have the Halloween witches done something here?

I'm really scratching my head now.

Thanks

UPDATE... I just tested it on Firefox and its working fine Edit thumb is showing up there.

The problem above described is hapenning on IE7 which I use for 95% of my work.

Now I wonder if there is a fix for this problem with with IE7

Last edited by GILSAN; Nov 3, 2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:36 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Is there some reason you can't use Firefox or IE8? That would seem to be the quickest solution.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 09:59 AM
GILSAN

45 posts · Mar 2010
Quote:
Is there some reason you can't use Firefox or IE8? That would seem to be the quickest solution.
No reason at all. Just been used to IE7 for such a long time that I never bothered to upgrade to IE8.

Thanks a million for your quick help and sugestions lmilesw