Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

Recommending an Email Subscription Plugin.

Old Aug 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
SharonJ

644 posts · Sep 2010
Duncan BC Canada
Recommending an Email Subscription Plugin.

I recently installed a plugin called Email Subscription by the Swedish developer, Tobias Nyholm.

When it did not do precisely what I needed it to do, I emailed him and he astonished me by improving the plugin on the spot.

You can now include the body of the blog (in this case public works notifications of road closures and water main breaks etc.), you can remove subscribers. The blog arrives at the email destination in a timely manner.

Here is the code in ATO/Settings/Email Subscriptions
There is a new post at %site_url%.
You can go to the web site here: %post_url%

This is what the notification says:
%post_excerpt%

Any uploaded media or images will not show up in this email.

To unsubscribe from future mail, follow this link: %unsubscribe_url%
Further, I wanted more than 55 words to be in the content of the notification. I decided on 500 words. You can configure excerpts in ATO but that did not work for me. Instead he gave me this code to put in the bottom of themes functions.php:

//expand size of excerpt

function custom_excerpt_length( $length ) {
return 500;
}
add_filter( 'excerpt_length', 'custom_excerpt_length', 999 );

We have all suffered the frustration of asking a developer a question about his plugin, only to wait for weeks or months for a reply, if ever. I like to reward responsive developers and I hope you do, too. Consider the donate button if you like it!