Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Running WordPress » Installing & running WordPress »

My index file is messed up... please help!

Old Aug 3, 2009, 01:21 PM
plzhelp

3 posts · Aug 2009
Hi,

In trying to follow the arcane instructions for "Giving Wordpress Its Own Directory", I severely messed things up.

I thought I followed every step, but clearly missed something. I'm new to programming, so I should have just left well enough alone.

Well, now when I go to my old url, I see the sidebar, header image, and footer, but everything else is missing. The title says "Page not found." And I cannot log in to Wordpress.

One more thing, if it helps: I did change "require('./wp-blog-header.php');" to "('./wordpress/wp-blog-header.php');" and got this message:

Quote:
Warning: require_once(admin.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /dailyas1/wordpress/wp-admin/edit.php on line 2

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'admin.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /dailyas1/wordpress/wp-admin/edit.php on line 2
After some more attempts at restoring it, I got line 17 (instead of 2), once.

So I just switched back to "require('./wp-blog-header.php');". And now here I am.

Is there any way to restore or locate the old index and all the customizations I made? I don't want to lose everything!!

aaah!

Thanks for any help!

-frustrated newbie

Last edited by plzhelp; Aug 3, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 01:23 PM
plzhelp

3 posts · Aug 2009
By the way, here is my current, half-empty index page: http://www.dailyasker.com/Wordpress/

In case that info is useful to anyone who could help me out.

Many thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 03:12 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Did you fix it? It looks good to me first post is
Quote:
Welcome to DailyAsker 2.0! (formerly known as thedailyasker.blogspot.com)
| Send to a friend!
What I love about this new site: Everything!! It’s designed to be interactive. It’s created for comments, since you can answer each other and I get instant emails whenever you write something. You also can announce what you’ve asked for, get advice from me or readers, slap my dapper new logo on whatever your heart desires (check out the shop!) or activate the “asker tracker,” which uses GPS technology to inform readers where negotiations are unfolding live across the planet. (Ok, still working on the last one. But everything else is good to go.)
Take a look around, let me know what you think, and join me in Year Two of asking!

July 7th, 2009 | Category: Uncategorized | No comments
Old Aug 4, 2009, 12:03 AM
plzhelp

3 posts · Aug 2009
Sadly, I did not fix it.

What you see there is a backup from a few weeks ago I asked my host server to restore. The other files, the files with all the content and tweaks, are still missing. I've put the entire old site in a subdirectory (oldsite), and now I'm sorting through that to try to find the most recent version of my blog.

Even if it's a small setback, I can always do over the customizations to the theme. What I'm most bummed about is the content. Do you know in which file or folder the blog page content is held? If I could restore/salvage that most recent material, the format I can redo.

Thanks again.
Old Aug 4, 2009, 04:14 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
The posts are stored in the wordpress database. If that was restored then, safely you are out of luck. It sounds like this is the case since the theme settings are gone since they are stored in the same database.

The blog is made up of the WordPress code, including the theme code and plugins, any media (photos, video etc) you uploaded, and the database. The database contains all your data ( user i'd's, theme settings, posts, plugin/widget settings). I hope you have a recent backup of it.