Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages »

adding navigation within a Category

Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:54 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
adding navigation within a Category

I have been recreating a hand-coded site into WP/AT.

one issue is intimidating and I am looking for help. I suspect it will not be as simple as a a support issue for ATO configuration.

Here's the section of the original site that is an issue. Note the alphabetical menu across the top of each page in the Encylopedia.

http://www.donaldclarkemusicbox.com/...edia/index.php

Now see the same page in the WordPress version:

http://www.donclarkemusicbox.simple-.../encyclopedia/

We need that menu at the top of each page but only in that Category (the Encyclopedia).

Anyone?
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:52 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
create a custom menu
add a new widget area
add the menu to the widget area
use 'widget logic' plugin to only show the widget on the pages's you want

Last edited by juggledad; Aug 19, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:13 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
Dang JD, you are even better than I have been giving you credit for.

A few days ago, we got one of those phone calls from "Debit Card security." asking, "Sir, I note that I am able to reach you at home there in Jersey City, NJ in the United States.

Our system has stopped a number of transactions that we wish to verify before paying. Did you attempt to buy xyz for $826.54 in the abc shop in London early this morning? And 30 minutes later did you attempt to purchase something for $548.13 in Madrid? How about a $762.87 item a few minutes ago in Tel Aviv?"

"Well, we have rejected those transactions and now we are cancelling the cards. You will have replacements in 7 to 10 business days."

So, until the new card comes, I must ask you to be content with just my thanks. As soon as it does, I will do as a I always do for the excellent support you provide, and send some money.

HELLO AT USERS: Anyone who gets this kind of help here should be ashamed if they do not pay something, whatever you can afford, to the volunteers who provide it.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:32 AM
joe hark

168 posts · Feb 2009
I'm stuck at a key step.

I have created the widget area for the center column and put custom menu there.

It now appears on every post. But it is not the alphabetical list of posts in the Encyclopedia. It is simply a link to the home page of the category (http://www.donclarkemusicbox.simple-helix.net/)

So before I get to the issue of causing this menu to appear only on the top of the page of all Encyclopedia Category posts (and only those), I need it to be alphabetical like the one on the original site http://www.donaldclarkemusicbox.com/...edia/index.php

How do I create an alphabetical menu. please?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:35 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if you are creating a wp custom menu, you control what order the menu shows. you can drag and arrange items.

To make a menu where the first link is 'A" and tejh second is 'B' you can do one of two things
1) you can add manual links (he 'Links' option in wp 3.6)
2) if the pages already exist, you can add the page to the menu and then change it's Navigation Label