Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Montezuma Theme »

Help! H3 rendering outside it's boundaries.

Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:23 AM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Curious is someone can help me with this. It's been a few years since I've done this kind of work and trying to clean up our departments website.

On the page below, you will see the underline of the H3 extends outside of the container on the right side.

http://hanahanpolice.com/education/p...afety-at-home/

This is one of many issues, but I'm sure this community is the best place to get some of these resolved.

Thanks,
David
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:01 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
One way to get rid of the is to edit the #main entry in layout.css and add display inline;
It would then look like

HTML Code:
#main { 
    padding: 30px 0;
    display: inline;
}
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:45 PM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Larry,
Thanks for the reply. I tried that, still a no go.

http://hanahanpolice.com/education/p...afety-at-home/
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:05 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
check your site again...oh and remember to shut off caching plugins when making design changes.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:14 PM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Juggledad,
I took the border-bottom off the H3 CSS for now. Here is still an example though, only with an image.

http://hanahanpolice.com/chief-m-cochran/
Old Mar 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Juggledad,
Also, I don't have any Caching plugins active. I was going to use one, but this design is a FAR away from being completed.

I don't get to work on it too often, but since the site's life (and on back of all the city Police vehicles), we want to make it viewable for our 20,000 citizens.

(thanks again for the help. so far this community has been great from a learning standpoint.)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 04:04 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
go to MTO->Export Import - copy your settings to a TEXT file and attach them to a response

how are you building your page?
have you changed any of the virtual templates?
you seem to have removed all the responsive from the site.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 07:23 AM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Juggledad,
I took the border off for now, but if you could figure out why it's displaying that way, I would be extremely grateful.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Montezuma Backup.txt (70.1 KB, 1189 views)
Old Mar 17, 2013, 09:07 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Would you answer the questions I asked
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:01 AM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Juggledad,
Sorry, the question kind of blended in with your signature. Didn't see it until now.

Building using html, through notepad (Dreamweaver occasionally). By virtual templates, you mean index, page, single, etc? Because I have changed quite a few things (but mostly deleting tags that I do not need/want.) By responsive, do you mean auto width, columns, etc?

I built the site first, then tried to implement WP for ease of updating.

Thanks for the help,
David
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:21 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Why are you using WP if you are building the site in html?
The reason you use WP and a theme is is to take advantage of dynamic global changes to the look and feel of the site.

Montezuma is a responsive theme - if you make the window smaller, things shift to make it easier to see without having to horizontally scroll. Viewing it on a mobile device and it changes the look based of the devices width. By hard coding the html, you are wiping these abilities so why use this theme?
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:54 AM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Topic of why we used the theme.

At first, years ago, the website was built with absolutely zero ability for community feedback. Now, we have decided to go with WP that has things such as Mailing Lists (plugin), easy contact form generator's, comments, GREAT meta data for Citizens to search through. The theme, to us, was beautiful. It had certain features (Montezuma Options) built in that allowed for easy editing to change certain looks and feels of the site. Perhaps we should have done it a little differently and built the site around the theme instead of building the theme around the website (already laid out).

So far, we have been extremely happy with the design (it's a slow process though). Montezuma has been great as far as implementing into the design. There are certain things that I wish to be different, but things are how they are and trying to work through some of our bugs. Not bugs with the theme, but bugs with the theme working with our layout.

A little backwards? Yes. A little harder than it should be? Yes. But it is what it is, and with people like you and Mr. Larry providing feedback (fast, too!) I think we can work through the one off's.

Have you noticed any severe problems, look/feel of our site? (Given you've been to it)

Thanks again Juggledad.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 12:33 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
One thing I find quite annoying is the left alignment of the main container. That container could be centered by adding
HTML Code:
.main-container {
    width: 1100px;
    margin: 0 auto;
}
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Larry,
Thanks for the help. I added that to my CSS. It actually renders better, from a doing what I wanted it to do standpoint

Anything else you see that jumps out at you? Thanks again for the help!

-David
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:33 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Have you noticed any severe problems, look/feel of our site? (Given you've been to it)
yes, it doesn't resize when you make the wndow smaller.

I'm not going to be able to give you free support when you have changed the way things should work so much. I'd be trying to determine what is caused yby your code vrs the theme code and that is beyond the free support I can give you on the forum, sorry.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
This has went off topic a bit, but I really appreciate the help.

Any idea why the hover over on the widgets don't work properly in IE? Perhaps it's just me. IE9 has no rollover effect. Chrome, Firefox, Safari... looks great though.

Thanks,
David
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Doesn't work for me either with IE9 but I don't bother putting any time into trying to "fix" issues like that for IE9.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:04 PM
dmkjr

19 posts · Mar 2013
Larry, I agree. IE9 doesn't get too much of my attention.

Juggle- It wasn't intentional to change the theme so much. It WAS, however, intentional to get WP infused into the site. Perhaps over the next few weeks I can try a /test theme with Montezuma as the main theme and edit the templates to replicate what is now our site.