Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

[SOLVED] Atahualpa load time!

Old Feb 26, 2009, 08:41 PM
wrastler

[SOLVED] Atahualpa load time!

Is anyone else having problems with their site load time with this theme?

I already added a super cache plugin that is seemingly functioning, but the site still takes about 5-7 seconds to load on a high-speed connection.

My site isn't finished yet, but I am waiting to start another 4 blogs with this theme until I can hopefully rectify the situation.

Please offer any suggestions you guys have...I'm worried this may later on lead to a loss of traffic.

If you need to review the specific site, it's www.tgots.com

Thanks!!!
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:27 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Your site: Generated in 1.868 seconds. Look at the generated time. Atahualpa cannot do anything with the speed at which additional and/or external files are loaded, or the speed of the hosting account.

The "Atahualpa slow" posts come up now and then but even a plugin author who dissected the theme quite a bit couldn't say more than that the theme throws a lot of data around under the hood, but he admitted that he cannot complain about the speed.

I improved a few things though, and Atahualpa 3.2.1 is going to be about 0.1 seconds faster than 3.2. Another 0.1 seconds can probably be saved at a later stage but I didn't want to do such a big rewrite right now.

On idle server, 1 plugin installed (Feedsmith), no Super Cache no WP Cache, nginx, PHP-fpm, Xcache:

Atahualpa 3.2.1 - 0.300-0.400 seconds (homepage 0.400, page 0.300, single post 0.350)
Default Theme - 0.280 seconds (homepage, but with less widgets because only 1 sidebar)

Test: http://wpnginx.bytesforall.com/

=============

On a loaded server (THIS server), Apache, mod_php, no Super Cache no WP Cache, 15 plugins installed: This should resemble the average (budget) shared hosting account fairly well.

Default Theme: ~ 1sec.
Atahualpa: 1.3-1.5 (but with more stuff in the sidebars than the default theme = 2 sidebars). First load may take 2 seconds

The server load, and the amount of external files loaded (and the speed of the servers serving the external files) has a much greater impact than Atahualpa vs. Default.

PHP Speedy is another accelerator you can look into, it'll combine external files.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 09:57 PM
wrastler

Thanks Flynn!

I love the theme, and was just a little concerned. Maybe it is my connection.

Did you notice if my cache was working or not? I'm not really that advanced of a programmer.

And thanks for the speedy php idea. I'll look into it.

Thanks again.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:15 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Some cache is running
Cached by DB Cache

but it should mention "Super Cache" if you have Super Cache running which you don't seem to.

For easiest install I recommend "WP Cache 2" if you have trouble installing Super Cache. It's easier to install and about as fast.

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-cache/

It should do everything automatically. The description sound harder than it is
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:38 AM
wrastler

Hey flynn,

Appreciate your continued help man.

I tried adding that php speedy and it totally wonked out my blog. The whole right side of the theme was wiped out.

I'm assuming you've used it before. I downloaded the aciddrop 5.2 version. Do you know what setting I should be using?

After reading about the speedy more I think it would help a lot. Just not sure which settings I should choose. Everytime so far its gone wonky.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 27, 2009, 03:45 AM
wrastler

Almost forgot...

Right now, YSlow gives me a performance grade of 60 (D).

I get an 'F' for: Use a CDN (no idea what this means!?), Gzip components (although when I do that with php speedy my site won't even load), and for Configure ETags (again no clue).

Sorry to lay all this on you. But I could really use the help.

Thanks.