Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

[SOLVED] How do I add a widget area inside the logo bar?

Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:37 PM
jfriedman

2 posts · May 2009
US
Send a message via AIM to jfriedman
[SOLVED] How do I add a widget area inside the logo bar?

I just moved up from 3.3.x to 3.4.2 and like the elegance of adding widgets. Thanks for adding that, Flynn!

I've been hard-coding a 468x60 ad into bfa_header_config on this site but I'd like to make that a widget area now and drop an ad-management plug-in/widget in there. I can't do it thru the atahualpa form-driven interface (I think). I tried dropping in the add-widget code in the Configure Header Area box but of course that just puts it above or below the logo area.

Can you show me the code to write and where to put it? And is there a way I can do it so that I don't have to add the code with each theme upgrade?
Old Jul 14, 2009, 06:56 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
You'd have to re-create the logo area, i.e. by taking the parts from functions/bfa_header-config.php that start with $logo_area .= , without all the PHP logic (if ... then), and putting the widget area PHP code somewhere in between. You'd put all this into Style &b Edit HEADER AREA -> Configure Header Area. You can use HTML & PHP there.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 02:25 PM
loislanemiami

14 posts · Apr 2009
Miami, Florida
Send a message via AIM to loislanemiami
Hello Flynn,

I am running version 3.6.7.

I am not sure if this can be accomplished, but I want to add social media icons, text and links in the middle and to the right of the logo in the logo area. The problem is, I am a "real" beginner with this and I need very specific step-by-step functions. I would also like the make the logo smaller without decreasing the logo bar. Is any of this possible? And, if so, please help!

Thanks!
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:14 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can put code for that in ATO>Style & edit Header Area>Configure Header Area or if you have a plugin that provides a widget you can add a new widget area to that same box and then position with CSS.

Rather than give you too much to chew on all at once maybe just creating a new widget area in that spot would be a good place to start. The documentation is all in ATO>Add New Widget Area. It would probably be a good thing if you wrapped your head around that first.
Old Jun 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
loislanemiami

14 posts · Apr 2009
Miami, Florida
Send a message via AIM to loislanemiami
lmilesw,

Thanks for your reply

and Yeah, I looked at that "ATO>Add New Widget Area" for about three days straight -

It looked like 2000bc Swahili to me

I don't like asking for help, so when I do, it typically means I have looked up everything under the sun and have exhausted all options first.

Here is the site I am talking about (don't laugh, I have a long way to go) www.threebuddiespaintandbody.com.

I actually ended up getting the widget to create, but each time I put anything in it, it kept creating an entirely new space. I want the icons to sit across from the logo on the right side. I also want to put some text with links in the middle of this same space.

Last edited by loislanemiami; Jun 25, 2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Jun 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You have to determine the selectors for the item you want to position (I use Firebug with Firefox) and then use the proper CSS to move it where you want. Each situation is different so there are step be step procedures I can give you. If the icons you want to move were there (even in the wrong postion) I could give you an idea of what CSS to use but with nothing to work with I am not sure what to tell you. W3schools.com has great info on CSS and knowing CSS is, IMHO, REAL important to web development.

The site I currently see is not Atahualpa so I can't be any help with that.