Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

robots.txt file is blocking Googlebot

Old Apr 11, 2013, 02:04 AM
Ken Driver

9 posts · Aug 2012
Not sure this belongs in 'header' threads but could not see a more suitable category...
Keep getting an auto-generated email from Google that their googlebot cannot access the site. Google says the issue is the robots.txt file.
hoxtonindustries.com.au/robots.txt
I did not knowingly put this file on the server, nor did the client's SEO consultant, so assume it was auto-generated by either the Atahualpa theme, or by WordPress itself?
Here is the text that WAS in the file:
User-agent: *
Disallow: /_mm/
Disallow: /_notes/
Disallow: /_baks/
Disallow: /MMWIP/

User-agent: googlebot
Disallow: *.csi
The client's SEO consultant has since removed the last two lines, but still I get Google's 'access error' message. How did the file get there? Should I just delete it? What do /MMWIP/ and *.csi mean?

Also, in the Atahualpa Theme Options, there is some Google Analytics code put there by the SEO consultant. Could this code possibly be conflicting with the theme's own SEO Options? Not sure if this is in any way related to the robots.txt file (?) but I can turn off the theme SEO Options if you think that is advisable.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 03:23 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) Atahualpa does not create a robots.txt file
2) Wordpress does not creates a actual robots.txt file
3) check dashboard->settings->reading->Search Engine Visibility
One of the first steps in debugging any issue is 'turn off all plugins'

Quote:
I can turn off the theme SEO Options
sure, try it ank see what happens