Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Redirect child pages to parent

Old Oct 27, 2009, 08:17 PM
jkgourmet

54 posts · Aug 2009
At least, I think that's what I want to do. (newbie without coding experience, so be nice, please?)

I am using Wordpress 2.8.5 and Atahualpa 3.4.4. Great theme for a newbie, thank you.

I am using it as a CMS site. www.wineofthemonthclubreviews.com

Everything is pages - no categories. The nav bar called "Best Wine Clubs" has a drop down to to show the different types of wine clubs. Currently, I've got pages set up for each different type of wine club.

However, what I really want to do is have the readers click on those items and end up at the main parent page. Preferably, they would land on the section of the page that applies to the type of club they were interested in. But the entire page will show all the various "Best wine clubs" for each different type of club to make it easy for them to compare.

You can go to the page and go to the pages and I've typed in text that shows where I want to "redirect" the child pages to, and see an outline on the content parent page. The child pages would end up having no text for the reader to see at all.

I am using the term "redirect" but I don't know if that's really what I want to do. If this is what I need to do, How? If there is an easier way to accomplish this, please give me a little information and I'll work through it.

Thank you.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:22 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I assuming that you are going to want to continue adding clubs, so the info will change but you don't want to have to keep updating the pages.

You should think about creating a post per club and then you can have a bunck of categories -red wine, white wine, beginners, connieuseurs etc, then you can assign the categories to each club's post

then you can setup your pages to list the clubs by categories. (use the page2cat plugin)
Old Oct 28, 2009, 03:18 PM
jkgourmet

54 posts · Aug 2009
Can't find the plug in you are referring to. And I'm not sure I'm following what you are suggesting.

I currently have no categories - only pages. I think you are suggesting that I create posts for each club (instead of pages). Then I have categories for red wine, white wine, etc. The posts would be attached to the categories. The plug in would allow WP to use those categories LIKE PAGES in the nav bar. Is that about right?

IF so, then the parent category would be "Best wine clubs" with the "red wine" "white wine" etc. set as child categories. The plug in somehow makes those parent and child categories show up like pages in the nav bar?

Thank you for your patience with me, Juggledad.

Last edited by jkgourmet; Oct 28, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:00 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
here is the link to the page2cat plugin - http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/page2cat/
Old Oct 28, 2009, 07:57 PM
jkgourmet

54 posts · Aug 2009
Thanks. It's been an awful day - sorry for being a pain. Was I understanding your suggestion accurately? (The demo site for this plug in is not there anymore, so I'm unable to confirm that way.)

Last edited by jkgourmet; Oct 28, 2009 at 08:00 PM.