Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Comments, trackbacks & pings »

Help - comments are broken on my site!

Old Jan 14, 2010, 03:39 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
I have an Atahualpa 3.4.4 site (http://www.archicadtemplate.com) which is used to promote a product we sell. We don't use the comment feature of WP much. However, I placed a comment on one of my original posts to explain the material further, and it's been happily visible for a few weeks.

Today, one of our users posted a comment / question on this post, and it went to me for moderation. I approved it, and responded with my own comment / answer, but NONE of the comments are visible!

All of the comments (the original one from a few weeks ago, as well as the two today) show up on this page like this:

When I click on the Edit button for any of these, I get an error message:
Oops, no comment with this ID. Go back!

When I'm in the Admin area of the site, I can see the comments listed exactly as expected, on the Edit Post page near the bottom.

I recently upgraded from WP 2.8.5 to 2.9.1, and perhaps this is connected. I have other plugins on the site that maybe could be causing a conflict, but everything was working before.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this issue, and more important, how to resolve it?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:03 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Do a export then a repair on your database. Then use phpMyAdmin to browse the table
Old Jan 14, 2010, 06:12 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. I know how to do a backup using phpMyAdmin - is that what you mean by an export? How do I do a repair? Is that a standard command in phpMyAdmin?

I also know how to browse tables in phpMyAdmin - but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. In the WP Edit Post page for this post, the comments are showing properly, which indicates that they must have a correct link to that post in some table - but since they don't show properly on the actual Post page, I'm guessing some other table must not match. Any tips on what to look for?

Thanks for your time and helpful suggestions.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 04:03 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
in phpMyAdmin there should be a 'Operations' tab at the top and at the bottom is a 'repair' link, but an easier way is to install the wp-dbmaintenance plugin so you can schedule periodic, repair, optimize, backups.

To see if it's a problem in the database, go to phpMyAdmin, select the SQL tab and issue this command
HTML Code:
SELECT wp_posts.*, wp_comments.* 
FROM wp_posts, wp_comments
WHERE (wp_comments.comment_post_id = wp_posts.id) 
and (wp_posts.id = 690)
This will display a row for each post/comment for that post (if there are three comments, you will get three rows)

You can browse and see ifthe comments are there in the column 'comment_content'. This will tell us if it is a database problem or a problem in the code. I'll bet it is a code problem and that a plugin is causing the issue.

if this comes back ok, then disable all teh plugins you have and see if the comments showup. It could be you added the comment and it was fine, since then you have added a plugin or made some other change that is causing the issue

If the comments show up, start adding the plugins back in till you find the one causing the issue.

if deactivating all the plugins doesn't cause the comments to show up, temporally swap to the default theme and see if they show up (this will tell us if it is theme related)
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:44 AM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I decided to test whether it was a problem with a plugin, and deactivated all plugins. The comments then worked correctly, showing up on the Post page.

I reactivated my plugins in groups, and was able to quickly isolate the plugin that was causing the issue - one for maintaining a membership site that protects some content so that it is only seen by members. This developer has frequent updates - perhaps one or two a week. I updated to the latest revision of the plugin, and now everything is working. Hooray!

By the way, I see that Atahualpa is on 3.4.5, and I'm still on 3.4.4. Is it important to update Atahualpa? Will there be another update soon?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:59 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
the 3.4.5 update was mainly to add support for the new thumbnails in WP 2.9