Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Problem getting jQuery code to execute

Old Jan 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
I posted this two or three days ago as a reply to an older thread
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...ry+insert+code
but haven't gotten any replies, so I'm reposting as a new thread to see if I can get a quick answer for this simple question.

----------------------

I am trying to use jQuery to show an overlay image the first time a visitor enters the site, then fade it after a few seconds or when the visitor clicks on the entry image. I worked out most of the mechanics and code on a test page, and am now trying it on one of my WP sites which has Atahualpa 3.4.2 loaded.

I can't seem to get any jQuery code to execute. I followed Flynn's directions [in the other thread] to
Add jQuery code to js.php after
jQuery(document).ready(function(){
My first simple test is to hide a DIV that floats in front of the page that has an ID of "entryImage". My code is very simple:

$("#entryImage").hide();

When that didn't do anything, I added a simple alert line to see if I could get something to execute, but I didn't get the alert popup that I expected:

alert("hello");

For the record, here is my code (in red) in js.php, showing the unmodified lines above and below what I added in grey. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Code:
    jQuery.noConflict();
    jQuery(document).ready(function(){

$("#entryImage").hide();
    alert("hello");

/* For IE6 */
I'm sure this is pretty simple, but I don't know whether this code is invalid, or if it needs to be placed somewhere else.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 11:38 PM
Eric Bobrow

70 posts · Jan 2009
I finally figured this out, and posted the information on the original thread in case it would be useful to others:
http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthr...3623#post23623