Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

A minor problem with the feed being picked up by a blog aggregator.

Old Jul 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
stribe

19 posts · Feb 2009
Hello:

My blog sends its feed to a blog aggregator, which has on it a number of blogposts for different bloggers posted on it. What it normally reads from us when it reads my feed is the title of my blogposts, + a brief summary which is the start of what my blogpost contains (I should note that this summary that is picked up by the aggregator is NOT the excerpt. I normally leave the excerpt part in the Wordpress post editor blank, unless I specifically put in text in there to point something out. Otherwise the summary is verbatim word-for-word what my blogpost starts as).

Since I've upgraded to Atahualpa 3.4, coincidentally or not so coincidentally, the aggregator I'm a part of only seems to be reading and posting the title of my articles at its site. The summary I normally read there is not however showing up.

I'm curious whether this would have anything at all to do with the fact that Atahulapa3.4 has included an "Atahualpa post option" in Wordpress's "post" section or not.. and if I need to fill anything in the "meta" options to get the aggregator to continue to read the blogpost's summaries or not.. or if it's something else.

Last edited by stribe; Jul 6, 2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old Jul 6, 2009, 02:15 PM
stribe

19 posts · Feb 2009
Update: A 2nd blog aggregator that I am on wasn't even picking up the title - much less the summary. I've downgraded back to 3.3.3, and magically, the feed reader at both aggregators are picking up my whole blog feed again - both the title and the summary.

So.. not sure what's causing this, but it appears to me to definitely be the 3.4 theme.

Last edited by stribe; Jul 6, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 05:53 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Try this and see if this fixes the issue:

Edit functions.php and add the red parts at around line 272-273

# remove_filter('get_the_excerpt', 'wp_trim_excerpt');
#
add_filter('get_the_excerpt', 'bfa_wp_trim_excerpt');
Old Jul 13, 2009, 06:28 PM
stribe

19 posts · Feb 2009
Hi Flynn:

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to hold off on implementing those additions though. On upgrading to 3.4.2, I've just tried a test blogpost out, and both aggregators have picked up the title and a summary of the blogpost.

So.. I'm going to let it go and see if it continues to pick these up correctly for much longer blogposts. If I get the same problems as before, I'll insert those 2 lines in.. and let you know what happens... but if everything is working for some reason, I'm rather hesitant to mess with it.