Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

What's the Best Backup Plan for a WP Atahualpa website?

Old Jan 6, 2011, 09:03 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
What's the Best Backup Plan for a WP Atahualpa website?

Over the years I've had the WP-DBManager plugin automatically backing up the MySQL database and then, every so often, I download a copy of the theme directories from the website -- sort of haphazard.

I'm wondering what approaches other people take to backing up.

I've started reading about the BackUpBuddy plugin which costs $$ but sounds pretty neat. It claims to automate an inclusive backup of the entire WP setup. And then especially nice, the plugin has a quick and easy restore feature letting you get your site back up and running without a lot of fuss.

Does anyone have any experience with either BackUpBuddy or any other similar plugin?
Old Jan 6, 2011, 09:35 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I bought the developer version of BackupBuddy and install it on all my sites. I schedule weekly or monthly full backups that upload to my Amazon S3 account. I have also used it to move a site from from one server to another and it worked very nicely. I am very happy with it...

There is however one host where I am having issues but it's a host I have never heard before working with this client.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 11:01 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
I bought the developer version of BackupBuddy and install it on all my sites. I schedule weekly or monthly full backups that upload to my Amazon S3 account. ...<snip>...
Re the use of Amazon S3: are the backup files coming down to your PC via the BackUpBuddy plugin and then slowly moving up to S3? Or is there a way to have the files go direct to Amazon.

I used to use Amazon S3 to back up my Windows Home Server but I started to worry about how long it would take to do a restore if I ever had a serious system crash. I've been using KeepVault since March 2010, but still worry.

Jim
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:19 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
The files go directly to Amazon Jim.