Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Plugins & Atahualpa »

[SOLVED] Forum Plugin

Old Nov 13, 2009, 04:54 AM
hospitalera

72 posts · Mar 2009
Prague
I am looking for a good forum plugin to integrate with one of my sites, any recommendations? Thanks, SY
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:00 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Here is one you could try. Simple:Press forum plugin - http://simplepressforum.com/download/
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:16 AM
hospitalera

72 posts · Mar 2009
Prague
Thanks for that! Have you used it on a site I could see? SY
Old Nov 13, 2009, 05:34 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
No I haven't tried it, I found it a couple days ago looking for a solution for another user.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 04:08 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Juggledad's recommendation is good, but I suggest attaching a separate forum to your site instead.

VBulletin, MyBB, and Invision Power Board are all solid choices.

You can see MyBB working with one of my Atahualpa sites here.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:57 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimbledon
Juggledad's recommendation is good, but I suggest attaching a separate forum to your site instead.

VBulletin, MyBB, and Invision Power Board are all solid choices.

You can see MyBB working with one of my Atahualpa sites here.
Just curious why you think a separate forum is better than the embedded SimplePress solution...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:18 AM
hospitalera

72 posts · Mar 2009
Prague
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
Just curious why you think a separate forum is better than the embedded SimplePress solution...
Me too, and also: How happy are you with MyBB? I tried it out some years ago and it was extremely buggy. I am using SMF on a site, but I am looking for a small, lightweight solution that integrates seamlessly with WP. Will look more into Juggledads suggestions, thank you everybody, SY
Old Nov 20, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wimbledon

320 posts · Apr 2009
[VA & AZ], USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmilesw
I have never found an embedded forum that looks as appealing, works as well, and has as many features as the stand-alone forums like VB. More of a preference issue I suppose, but I think your members will appreciate it too.

While I don't see SimplePress listed, this is a helpful resource to compare forum software:

http://www.forummatrix.org/wizard.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by hospitalera
Me too, and also: How happy are you with MyBB? I tried it out some years ago and it was extremely buggy. I am using SMF on a site, but I am looking for a small, lightweight solution that integrates seamlessly with WP. Will look more into Juggledads suggestions, thank you everybody, SY
I have been pretty satisfied with MyBB. For some recent sites, I narrowed my choice down to VB, IPB, and MyBB and found that MyBB can do everything the bigger forums can (through plugins and code modifications) and at this point the code is well resolved and not buggy at all (at least in my experience with a few MyBB forums now).

This is just my 2 cents though, so if SimplePress meets your needs then great.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:46 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
I'm tending to agree with Wimbledon about external vs external forums. I just played around a bit with SimplePress and bbPress and bbPress is much friendlier. It SEEMS like SimplePress may have more configuration choices but bbPress is just "cleaner". It's at version 1.0.2, there are a bunch of themes and plugins available and it has built in integration with WordPress if needed. I'm going to play with it some more but it looks like that is the way I will go.
Old Nov 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
WordPressZen.com

28 posts · Aug 2009
Canada/Utah
One nice thing about SimplePress is that you don't have to go to the trouble of "skinning" an external forum script to match your existing web design (it pulls from your existing WordPress theme files). It also automatically syncs forum member logins and pws with your regular WP user dbase. And it only takes about 5 minute to deploy the SimplePress plugin. For a plugin (vs a standalone product), it has an extraordinary amount of options.

I've deployed SimplePress on several sites and it is definitely a "simple" way to get a forum on your site, fast. So don't be afraid to TRY SimplePress to see if it meets your needs for an online forum community. You can always make the plugin inactive again if you decide to go the full open source forum app route...
Old Jan 26, 2010, 08:00 PM
lmt

29 posts · Jan 2010
Colorado
I need a forum in my page which is being host by bluehost. Should I install the forum from bluehost cpanel or as a plugin?

I tried to install bbpress from bluehost cpanel but it gave me a message:

Overwrite Warning, Please Confirm
It looks like there are some conflicting files in the directory you have chosen. If you choose to continue, conflicting files will be overwritten, which will destroy the original contents of those files.

Should I go ahead and install it or would it screw up my Atahuala blog page?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 09:30 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
NO... You don't want to overwrite anything. It will mess up your Atahalpa install

You should install bbPress to a subfolder of your site. For instance if your site url is
HTML Code:
http://www.mysite.com
you should put bbPress in
HTML Code:
http://www.mysite.com/bbpress
Of course the subfolder doesn't have to be named bbPress
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:11 AM
webheadfred

1 posts · Apr 2010
Here's a page that lists 5 popular WP Forum Plugins:
http://chasesagum.com/5-best-choices...-forum-plugins

I help install WP blogs, and personally I would stay with SMF (simple machines) as it is stable and can be simplified a bit in the settings, while it doesn't plug directly into WP, sometimes that's better as you don't have to worry about conflicts with upgrades (forums can get pretty large pretty fast). Adding a nice link to the forum (which also won't mess up any of your WP files) works for some of my clients.

Simple Machines website is here (software is free):
http://www.simplemachines.org
and there are plenty of good Forum Hosting companies out there to choose from, including the one linked, or you may ask your current host if they can install the forum. Hope this helps
Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Actually the Forum Server plugin looks promising and uses Simple Machine as the engine.
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:49 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Hi,

I just installed WP Forum Server. (Using WP 3.0, Atahualpa 3.5.1). Wanted a simple plugin that would integrate with WP.

The WP Forum Server was very simple to install, and it seems to work well, and does integrate completely with the WP user registration. But, it says it is not compatible with Google Analytics. Is this a big disadvantage?

Should I just use an alternative provider of analytics (any suggestions?) and skip Google Analytics? Or, should I switch to another Forum Plugin, such as Simple Press? Does Simple Press integrate with the WP User registration, and is it compatible with Google Analytics?

Many thanks!
Old Aug 16, 2010, 03:53 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
P.S. Can someone give examples of sites using Simple Press and sites using WP Forum Server?
Old Aug 17, 2010, 01:56 AM
Kazna

13 posts · Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by New WordPress Fan
Hi,

I just installed WP Forum Server. (Using WP 3.0, Atahualpa 3.5.1). Wanted a simple plugin that would integrate with WP.

The WP Forum Server was very simple to install, and it seems to work well, and does integrate completely with the WP user registration. But, it says it is not compatible with Google Analytics. Is this a big disadvantage?

Should I just use an alternative provider of analytics (any suggestions?) and skip Google Analytics? Or, should I switch to another Forum Plugin, such as Simple Press? Does Simple Press integrate with the WP User registration, and is it compatible with Google Analytics?

Many thanks!
Do you use Google Analytics plugin? I suggest you remove that plugin, since you still can track your site with GA from its site here http://www.google.com/analytics/. You only need to add some lines of code to your site.
Old Aug 17, 2010, 10:26 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazna
Do you use Google Analytics plugin? I suggest you remove that plugin, since you still can track your site with GA from its site here http://www.google.com/analytics/. You only need to add some lines of code to your site.
Kazna, Thank you very much! That will solve it.