Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

How do you make a right side bar on "Page" pages present different content

Old May 24, 2009, 07:08 PM
nasu

34 posts · May 2009
How do you make a right side bar on a "Page" page present 'blog categries' but
random text/imges instead on a side bar of another "Page" page? Is it possible?
Old May 25, 2009, 05:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
this is not a Atahualpa issue. If you search the WordPress forums you will find many queries on this topic

To quote from one;

"You either use different template files that call different sidebar files or use
Conditional_Tags - eventually, both combined.

You will also have to learn about Template_Hierarchy and Category_Templates."

So...it can be done but...it will take YOU a lot of work.
Old May 25, 2009, 12:35 PM
nasu

34 posts · May 2009
Thank you for your reply, Juggledad. It sounds like beyond me for now. I'll give it up for now. I've seen a site where it has a dfferent photo in a side bar from page to page. I'd like to learn to do it eventually...any suggestion on how to go about learning--I guess php from a scratch? Should I do that? I suppose I could take an online summer class at a community college...
Old May 25, 2009, 01:15 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
getting a different photo in a sidebar depending on the page is a lot different than having different widgets in the sidebar depending on the page.

If you want a different photo on different you could use something like nextgen gallery.

As for learning it all...big subject. My suggestion, make a test wordpress site and play with it. Try each of the options and see what they do. You can also take a class, but if you're not going to DO development in PHP, it might be better to find other ways around your issues, or change your needs (this is much simpler). Ask yourself, do I have to have 'X or can I live with 'Y'.

there are some great site out on the internet and some big money has gone into making them. Flynn has given all us little guys a leg up. (ok, I'm not a little guy, I've been playing with computers, mainfranes to pc for 30 years. I did tech support and picked up quite a few computer languages over the years. While I can look at the code Flynn has written and figure it out, I'd rather live within my limits until I can find a way arround them - case in point, I like rotating images, found some code, Flynn put it in, BUT I'd really like to use NextGen Gallerys but I can't figure out how to make the tops of the image box rounded. So I'll live with the current method until something else comes along.

Sorry for the long rambling answer
Old May 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
nasu

34 posts · May 2009
Thank you for your reply. I'm very interested in what you said in the first line. (The rest of the points are well taken. I agree and thank you for our words. Much appreciated.)

Eventually, I'd like to learn to make two different templates that call for different side bar files. I'll go to WordPress forum and start reading.