Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Atahualpa users support each other?

Old Feb 10, 2009, 03:46 PM
bpbaker

23 posts · Dec 2008
Whitstable, Kent, England.
As one of many who regularly browse this forum to pick up tips, it is very noticeable just how much effort Flynn puts into providing solutions for all the questions asked.

Perhaps a 'Sticky' where users could show just how different their Atahualpa sites look from the default might highlight just what is possible. If any of these sites use features that others find attractive the site owners might like to explain how they did it.

I am not advocating some sort of link-farm. Flynn has provided a framework that allows everyone to develop their own vision. Maybe we could take some of the pressure of him by assisting new users.

Anyone agree?
Old Feb 10, 2009, 06:21 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Thank you, I second this motion

I will have to slow down anyway, especially on the customization requests, at least on the free ones.

As the theme matures more and more, problem reports are also often not caused by the theme. I also had quite a few questions that were not even related to Wordpress as such.

Everyone please don't hesitate to help out each other. I will do my best to chime in, but at the current rate I can hardly improve Atahualpa, let alone develop another theme. And in case you didn't know: I am doing all this full time
Old Feb 12, 2009, 09:26 AM
mactony

67 posts · Jan 2009
I definitely would be happy to help. This theme (and Flynn's forum) has been one of the best finds in a long time, and has totally expanded my knowledge of what is possible on the web. I manage three sites, which were clunking along in my ham-fisted HTML/CSS structures. I am converting all of them to Atahualpa. So far, this music blog is my first finished one. I would show you what was there before but I am rather embarrassed.

http://www.midriffrecords.com/gethelp

I'd be happy to help anyone out with learning experiences or tips if there's something there anyone likes. I would also recommend that you read Flynn's forum whenever you get the chance, there is so much good stuff in here that you might get some ideas just from exploring.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:17 PM
Flur

29 posts · Dec 2008
There actually was a thread for this out there...

http://forum.bytesforall.com/showthread.php?t=95
Old Feb 13, 2009, 03:24 PM
bpbaker

23 posts · Dec 2008
I felt that there was a subtle difference between a sticky thread where users might help each other than one which eventually ended buried under many other pages and was used for 'showing off'.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
Flur

29 posts · Dec 2008
Yeah, maybe in the original wording, but the intention was (and is) the same. To show what can be done with the theme, inspire others, and help each other to make great use of what Flynn has put together.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 08:30 PM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
Flur, I made this thread sticky and see no problem with having partially similar content in two threads. This forum is new and things will be more organized as time goes by. I'll do something with the other thread, too. Maybe open a subforum etc.
Old Feb 16, 2009, 11:46 AM
owenl

44 posts · Jan 2009
I made that original thread and only called it showing off because that is what I have seen iit called several times before on other forums about this - intent was simply to let people showcase. I put in the two most different sites I made www.getin2coffee.com and www.webinarace.com because they are the two I made that go farthest from the standard install. I was going to put one up I did that moved the left column over to the right side but when I checked back Flynn had ALREADY done it for someone else!

He is amazing with the amount of work he is putting in here and I actually think that we should all try to answer a couple of newbie questions for Flynn to take that off him in gratitude (besides the donating, etc.)
Old Feb 18, 2009, 04:03 PM
MacMyDay

23 posts · Feb 2009
I think many of us who've become more familiar with Atahualpa and learned by our trial and error and mistakes can help the new users dropping in and that would certainly off-load time Flynn needs to spend here. And ultimately give him more time to update the Theme and continue development of his commercial theme endeavors.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 07:39 PM
wrastler

Someone else have experience with this then?

Would really appreciate any help...

I am curious to know if there is a way to get my Pages and RSS/subscribe logos on the same line, as opposed to one below the other.

If not, is there a way to move the %logo to the far left. I would try padding but you wrote to "Avoid margin and padding for this container - it's a table."

Or even better yet, is there a way to get the %logo as a side widget? I know that I can get the regular WP subscribe widget...but I like the %logo colors and shapes. That would be the best!

I've tried to manipulate all the other setting tabs but can't find the answer.

Thanks!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:55 AM
Gran

4 posts · Mar 2009

hi

could someone tell me if th wp.org editing tool works the same as in wp.com

i want to switch to wp.org
and use the Atahualpa theme
but i dont know if it is neccecary to know css/html

in wp.com the editing tool (visual mode is just copy past insert. is it the same at wp.org and with the Atahualpa theme

thanks in advance
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:40 PM
tnc

8 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactony
Wow, very nice mactony! You are doing what I am trying to do - Change background colors / images! I am a bit frustrated. I am NEW to wp. I have done a lot of work on Yahoo lists and with IPB and many mods to go along with IPB. I didn't want another forum so I spent a lot of time (a week) looking for some sort of content management system for a new site that is updated often. I finally found something that I "think" I can work with - wp, but being that I am new to wp, I feel a bit overwhelmed.

I did try MANY themes before I stumbled upon Atahualpa. I am impressed with the quality and for the most part, the ease of working with it. That doesn't mean I 'know it all'. If I did, I wouldn't be struggling with what should be simple stuff. (changing background colors).

Feedburner is also new to me. I will need to learn more on that. I would also like to put in a 'contact' me page. I have seen such an animal on other wp sites, but I can't find any 'how to's' or wigets for that yet. (yes, again, I am LOST!)

Thanks to ANYONE that can 'show me the light'.

http://www.dimestorebudget.com

quick note.... Yes, I can see the bg image at:
http://www.dimestorebudget.com/wp-co...ges/backgr.gif

Last edited by tnc; Mar 10, 2009 at 02:46 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
bpbaker

23 posts · Dec 2008
Re Contact Form

I'm trying to limit the number of plugins to keep the speed reasonable so I use WP-Spamfree which is primarily for keeping out the spam bots but also comes with a simple Contact form which is good enough for most uses.

Once installed you write a page with whatever text you want at the top of the form then put in the shortcode for the contact form.

You can see it here on the site I am building that has to match the pre-designed printed material for a range of events. Atahualpa is the only theme that I've found that enables me to get anywhere near what I need without having to hack the core php files. Even then I've had to come up with a few tricks to match what I've been given. The content is now starting to be entered and the groundwork I've done should give it some cohesion by the time it goes live.

Whitstable Oyster Festival
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:37 PM
tnc

8 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaker
Re Contact Form

I use WP-Spamfree
Very NICE and EASY to do! Thank you so much for the info! It is perfect for what I need. Ah, slowly this site is pulling together!!
Old Mar 12, 2009, 03:07 PM
feastfresh

13 posts · Mar 2009
Yorkshire UK
Hi I wonder if anyone could help me with this, I have posted it twice but not had a response, maybe it's just too silly a question for Flyn to contemplate... I am extremely new to this, never designed a site, or used anything more complicated than word and excel before. Anyway, managed to make a few changes at www.feastfresh.org but I just can't get my logo to go in the top bar .. the name of it seems to be there but not the picture. I've put it in the filezilla thing (see, totally unteccy!) and I'm sure it's where it should be there but it won't seem to pull through to the site. I've been trying to do this for a week now ... any help would be lovely .. thank you .. Rebecca
Old Mar 12, 2009, 03:09 PM
feastfresh

13 posts · Mar 2009
Yorkshire UK
woops... just did something and after a week of struggling it's there .. sorry to be a nuisance and just proves persverance pays ... phew! off to celebrate!!!"!"!
Old Mar 21, 2009, 07:44 PM
MacMacGA

12 posts · Mar 2009
Warner Robins, GA
Send a message via AIM to MacMacGA Send a message via Skype™ to MacMacGA
Could use some help to keep Flynn working on his main work. I want to add more room between the bottom of the header image and the page menu bar and then a little more room between the page menu and rest of the layout. I know it is something about padding. I have been working on this for about 4 days learning as I go.

http://aauwgeorgia.org/Sample/

I am chairing a committee to revamp the state website from a traditional model to Wordpress CMS. It is so much fun working with this theme. Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 03:22 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hey MacMacGA!

Your site's looking my-T-fine today. Looks like you added that extra room you'd wanted by styling the header "bars" 1 and 2.

TTFN Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacMacGA
..<snip>...I want to add more room between the bottom of the header image and the page menu bar and then a little more room between the page menu and rest of the layout. I know it is something about padding. I have been working on this for about 4 days learning as I go. ..<snip>...
Old Mar 26, 2009, 01:42 PM
pedro

2 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbaker
As one of many who regularly browse this forum to pick up tips, it is very noticeable just how much effort Flynn puts into providing solutions for all the questions asked.

Perhaps a 'Sticky' where users could show just how different their Atahualpa sites look from the default might highlight just what is possible. If any of these sites use features that others find attractive the site owners might like to explain how they did it.

I am not advocating some sort of link-farm. Flynn has provided a framework that allows everyone to develop their own vision. Maybe we could take some of the pressure of him by assisting new users.

Anyone agree?
Yes Flynn deservs to be liberated!
He honestly and accurately follos up every problem and tries to help us.
Even for us it is the best to help each other, because with that, Flynn will have more time to solve the problems.

Ps.: Who could help me out with the following problem:

I use xlanguage widget, works fine for posts, sidebars, even for single lined content like Post Title, Categories Name and such, but the BLOG TITLE and BLOG TAGLINE not switches. xLanguge similar to qTranslate if someone could guide me trough to solve this would be great. Thanks that you put your opinion into action to support bpbaker's idea and Flynn.
Thnx Pedro
Old Jun 13, 2010, 03:32 AM
qbuster

84 posts · Mar 2010
Alrewas, Staffordshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn
Thank you, I second this motion

As the theme matures more and more, problem reports are also often not caused by the theme. I also had quite a few questions that were not even related to Wordpress as such.
This is a central point - the vast majority of problems are caused by Ata users trying to extend the features of their sites with plugins and, increasingly, many of those are specifically related to the Buddypress plugin-theme.

The way that the forum is sub-divided takes this into account but some of us have suggested elsewhere on this forum that there is a case to add a Ata/BP sub-category. Doing this would pull all of those using BP (and presumably those with specific expertise of Ata/BP issues) into one place and thereby make it much easier for self help.

Regards

Will
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
Correen

16 posts · Jul 2010
Pacific NW
I just started working with this theme...LOVE IT! Lots to learn though

This is what I have so far...Food Lovers Website

~Correen
Old Jul 18, 2010, 04:36 PM
dougfoot

17 posts · May 2009
Oregon, USA
I've been using Atahualpa since May 2009 and have been very happy with it.

I'm not a programmer, but, with the help of a couple on the site (Thank you FLynn and juggledad), I was able to figure out the code for rotating headers using NextGen Gallery, manipulate the menu placement, and incorperate Dynamic Header logic.

Doug
http://www.crazytrike.com

Instructions at: http://wp.me/pf4do-eg and http://wp.me/pf4do-fj

Last edited by dougfoot; Aug 6, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 05:51 AM
ARealpolitik

130 posts · Jun 2010
I noticed this thread is getting a little dust on it so I thought I would jump in.

First off, I want to say that Atahualpa is probably the best theme available for Wordpress. I admin a small blogging community using this theme and when asked by new bloggers what theme I would suggest to them, it is always Ata. Since many of them are changing over from the Blogger platform to their own domain using Wordpress, it is a completely new experience for them.

It has a small learning curve, especially for new bloggers, but the experience you gain is well worth the effort. The dashboard enables users to completely customize every aspect of the theme and the forum is literally a God send when it comes to tweeking.

Flynn and Juggledad have taken support to a whole new level. Their quick response and depth of knowledge is unsurpassed and not commonly found in other theme support forums. Just looking at all the entries in this forum, mostly requests for assistance, and you get some idea the time and effort both have provided. I know they have spent time helping me many, many times...

Obviously you are using Ata since your reading this, so you know what I mean.

I try to assist those members in our community, that have changed over to Ata, with their tweeks, they think I know what I am doing. The truth is I normally come to this forum to get the answers...

Our site is simple old-school looking, and I did it on purpose. I use green in the theme mostly because I believe it is easier on the eyes. I have been staring at white screens since the black ones disappeared, so green is relaxing and makes reading more enjoyable. (my opinion)

If you want to check it out, go to: http://www.theblogfarm.com/

Thanks again for a great theme and all the work you do supporting the users of it.