Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Center area post/pages » Excerpts, Read more, Pagination »

how to add a title to the <a> of read more ?

Old Nov 7, 2010, 03:00 AM
drey

39 posts · May 2010
hello,

I found out that the link created by the "read more" function has no title,
I tried to find where i could add it, but it's not possible inside each post, and also not in the "read more" of the atahualpa theme options.
Do you have an idea ?
thx, audrey
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:29 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
ATO>Read More tag and ATO>Configure Excerpts are the two areas dealing with read more in the theme options.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 02:46 AM
Ilke

126 posts · Aug 2010
Hi,

I am not sure whether this is an Atahualpa-question, but I'll try.
I want to be able to use the read-more tag on pages, and I found a piece of code that will help get that done.

<?php
global $more;
$more = 0;
?>

I just don't know where to place it - does it go in a file of the theme or a wp-file?

I would very much appreciate help on this one.
Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 11, 2010, 03:57 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Ilke - go read the documentation at ato->"Read More" tag
Old Nov 11, 2010, 05:45 AM
Ilke

126 posts · Aug 2010
Hi,

I did that and tried. But I'm sorry, I really don't get it. I am trying it here:

http://www.ilkegenrich.com/blog/web-design/

It's actually about being able to open the same text in Dutch and German on this page. Two read more tags would be best, but I think that's pushing it, since I seem to be able to only choose one "Read more" text. So I can create the link, but the arrow doesn't appear (only '&rarr'), and the lines I wrote following the read more tag don't show at all, just the link disappears.

Any idea? Or do you recommend looking for a hideshow plugin or something like that?
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:06 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
I believe there is an error in the documentation about the 'Read More' where it says
Quote:
Whenever you insert <!--more--> into a post or page, only the text before that tag will be displayed on multi-post-pages while the whole post will be displayed on its dedicated single post page.
The <--more--> code only works in posts, so that line should be
Quote:
Whenever you insert <!--more--> into a post, only the text before that tag will be displayed on multi-post-pages while the whole post will be displayed on its dedicated single post page.
I am checking with the developer.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 06:46 AM
Ilke

126 posts · Aug 2010
Thanks a lot for your efforts!
So there is just no way of using that read more tag on pages? What about that piece of php-code? I'm also busy checking other blogs for solutions, so I hope I can stop bugging you soon...
Old Nov 11, 2010, 07:18 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
where did you get it from? It probably came from someone wanting to use the read more on a custom page of posts, not a 'page' page (don't you love overloaded terminology)

As I understand it, a page is static information. You can put that code (or something similar) in "the LOOP' option and it will break the text on the page and put in the read more, but the link is to the very same page. Each 'page' page' has only one url, so I don't see how it can end up working.
Old Nov 11, 2010, 08:29 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
You can use the "next page" function or there are several plugins for having text that expands. One of these is WordPress Tabs Slides.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:02 AM
Ilke

126 posts · Aug 2010
I've been all over different blogs yesterday, so I'm afraid I lost the source. But I went on trying, and found a plugin that enables me to partly add raw code in 'page' pages, it's called Raw HTML capability. That helps! I am still not all the way there, but I can do the show/hide-trick by using a piece of javascript now. Being still so new to all of this, I was quite excited to find out some about jquery. More to work on!

Thanks again for your support and fast replies!
Old Nov 12, 2010, 01:03 AM
Ilke

126 posts · Aug 2010
Oh, and I am curious about the WP Tabs Slides plugin as well. I'll try it later!