Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme »

Thumb support in Atahualpa?

Old Aug 2, 2009, 04:25 AM
kjetil

45 posts · Jul 2009
Oslo - Norway
Send a message via Skype™ to kjetil
Thumb support in Atahualpa?

I posted a question regarding generating thumbnails - but probably used the wrong forum. It's crucial for me to find out, so I take the liberty of quoting it here (and kindly ask Mr Admin to close one of the threads)
Kj
Hi
I'm planning to switch theme, especially after I came over this incredible customizable theme.
I wonder if its possible to get thumbnails displayed in the blog's post list.
More precisely, in my posts, I place a top image just below a more tag. On the blog's front page (the post list) I would like a thumb version of that top image to appear - like here on Dolcevita.no.
Is there some kind of thumbnail support like this included in the theme - or some way to make it happen?
I might be asking for a lot, but the thumb should appear without me having to upload the top image after the theme is activated. This might sound odd, but I've tried several plugins where this regrettably is necessary - meaning I would have to go through all 250 posts to make the thumbs appear appropriately. (With the post-thumb plugin I've used till now - which is no longer maintained - the thumb is generated the first time the page is viewed.)
Thanks - also for providing such a brilliant theme.
Kjetil
Old Aug 4, 2009, 11:55 AM
jankph

93 posts · Jul 2009
ATA 3.6.4 and WP 3.1
While not (yet) familiar with all the possibilities of this theme I don't think Atahualpa comes with this auto-insert-first-image-from-post-as-thumbnail-in-excerpt function. I think I would have noticed it if it did.
Old Aug 8, 2009, 05:46 AM
Flynn

3,768 posts · Oct 2008
Munich, Germany
It doesn't have such a functions but some users are doing this with plugins
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:56 AM
kjetil

45 posts · Jul 2009
Oslo - Norway
We've just decided to move our site to Atahualpa - incredible theme! Compliments to the "chef"!

Anyone who can give me a hint one which plugin is best to use - to pick a thumbnail from each post?
That's the only feature I miss )
Preferably it should pull/generate the thumb without me having to visit each and every post (to eg update the posts' database record). It should just pull the uppermost image in the post - like here. Eventually inserting some code in the appropriate templates to make it happen, is no problem.
Grateful for any advice
Kjetil
Old Oct 24, 2009, 11:15 AM
daniel3ub

26 posts · Jul 2009
Thumbnails for Excerpts is the plugin you are looking for.

Old Oct 24, 2009, 04:08 PM
kjetil

45 posts · Jul 2009
Oslo - Norway
Thanks - but I believe that is to display excerpts with thumbs, while I would need to display the first part of the post (the part above the "more" tag) on the blog's front page.
So far I've settled with the Smart Image plugin which automates the job quite well.
Kj
Old Dec 13, 2010, 05:47 PM
pnaw10

13 posts · Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetil
Anyone who can give me a hint one which plugin is best to use - to pick a thumbnail from each post?
That's the only feature I miss )
Preferably it should pull/generate the thumb without me having to visit each and every post (to eg update the posts' database record).
I have a similar but different question. I am currently in the midst of upgrading CNYRadio.com to Atahualpa 3.5.3. My issue is that, when I first started the site, I was using a theme where you had to add "custom fields" to the post to display images.

I found this system VERY handy because you can specify one image as your main post image, and an entirely different image for the thumbnail which shows up on multi-post pages. For image, I just add the custom field "image" and for the key, the image URI, "/images/wsyr.jpg" for example. For thumbnails, it's "thumbnails" and then "/images/wsyr-t.jpg" . Since I use many of the same images over and over (and most filenames are just the call letters for each radio station's logo), I find it to be a quick and efficient system. And considering most of the images I use are radio station logos, I prefer manually resizing in Photoshop, to avoid the "pixellation" that often happens when images are resized on-the-fly by a browser.

In order to maintain all my images from all my posts, however, as I've changed themes, I've had to painstakingly bring over the PHP code that "detects" the custom fields and makes those images appear. (This requires making changes to home.php, single.php, archive.php and so forth.) In fact, my current theme is outdated -- I've held off on downloading the latest version because I know upgrading would wipe out all my PHP and CSS modifications.

This time around, I was hoping I could make a child theme of Atahualpa, so I can make those PHP code changes without worrying about a future update wiping them out. But I've seen on here that many people have had trouble with child themes. While I understand Atahualpa is very customizable and most tweaks can be made via the UI, that only covers CSS changes... there's no way to modify PHP code (at least at the level I need to) without editing the PHP files directly.

I checked out the Smart Image plugin kjetil mentioned, but it's been replaced by a Smart Image II plugin, and the description was just so over my head (partly because it appears English is not the author's primary language), I really couldn't tell if it will do what I need it to do, or if it will be able to go through all my existing posts to make sure the images appear properly. Going back to redo all the images in my (nearly 1400) existing posts is not something I really want to do.

Any suggestions?