Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

Background image & form in only 1 cell of a header extra widget cell?

Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:18 PM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Background image & form in only 1 cell of a header extra widget cell?

Boy, that subject line was a mouthful!

Okay, here is the website in question:

www.bestbiztips.com/susankmorrow

What I want to do is place a form on the right side of the header (as you can see from my words "Promo box for free gift....").

I was thinking of adding a widget with 2 cells - with the form in the right hand cell. But then I would need to put the image as the background in that cell with the form coded into the cell.

Is this the best way to accomplish what I want? If so, how do I define a background image for 1 cell in the header widget?

Oh and if properly I hand code the form into the cell, will the form work?

If you think/know there is a better, easier and more stable way to accomplish this, please let me know!

Thanks as always for all of your help!

KIP
Old Nov 20, 2009, 04:55 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I bought Gravity Forms and I like it so much that I will always link to a forms page vs having a form in the sidebar. Gravity Forms is just VERY configurable.

I have a question for you though. I love the way you did your background image and header combo. Was that tough to align/create?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 08:58 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Larry -

Well, this is what the client wants - the form in the header. So if there is any way I can accomplish this, it would be great!

Anyone else have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much!

KIP

P.S. Hi again, Larry!

Thanks so much about the background!

I created the whole thing in Photoshop using layers. Then I duplicated the original file into separate files for each component, i.e., a file for background, a file for header, etc. Keep everything in layers so you can easily modify and turn off or delete the layers you don't need for each specific file. For instance, when you work on the background file, keep all of the background layers and turn off or delete the layers for anything else, like the header.

When you have finished designing each component, remember to resave each file as JPG or GIF file for the website.

The background is set in the theme in the "Body, Text & Links" tab with "no-repeat fixed center top" setting.

Then the header JPG image is a single image uploaded via FTP to the "header" directory in the theme.

I must admit, transferring the files to the website did shift the background a little bit. So then I kept minutely adjusting it in Photoshop, resaving it as a JPG, and reuploading it via FTP until it lined up just right.

It may seem convoluted, but works for me. I hope this helps! And have fun!

KIP
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:44 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
I played around a little with the Simple Modal Contact Form plugin (SMCF) and while it doesn't give you a form directly I was able to put the code in one of the HTML inserts area and it showed the words I set which when clicked on gave you a nice modal form like here. I'm going to keep looking for the "real" solution though.

Thanks for the info on your design. I'm going to have to get back into Photoshop mode.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 09:58 AM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi Larry -

Thanks for the SMCF suggestion! I will work on that in a few hours after I get done with another client's stuff. I'll let you know how it works!

And thanks for the continuing research! Please let me know how I can help you with anything.

KIP
Old Nov 21, 2009, 02:03 PM
kippiper

135 posts · Jun 2009
Hi again, Larry -

I LOVE THIS FORM! It is so slick-looking!

And I got it to work in the header. YAY! I really believe my customer will be happy with this.

You are great! Thanks so much again!

KIP