Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Sidebars & Widgets »

[SOLVED] Sidebar Content Clipped in IE8

Old Feb 14, 2011, 04:43 AM
eric41

51 posts · Aug 2010
Nieder Sachsen, Germany
Hello all.
Atahualpa 3.4.6
WP 3.0.5

I did find a similar thread or two in the forums here but with no solution that solved my particular issue.

I'm setting up some stuff in the right sidebar. Display is fine in Firefox and Chrome, but the image is getting clipped in Explorer (version 8). You can see what I mean here.

To save a little time, I want to mention that I have double checked to make sure the Inner Sidebars are turned completely off. All boxes there are unchecked, and both inner sidebars are set to 0 px. I have also played with adjusting the width of both sidebars, no cigar. Finally, although I am no CSS guru, I did try adding an "overflow: visible" line @ CSS Inserts, and that didn't do it either.

Can someone make a suggestion for anything else I could try? Getting a little fidgety with this, and it feels like one of those problems whose solutions is going to make me feel silly.

Thank you!!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:39 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
one of your issues is that the page is a variable width so when you make the window bigger, things shift. Try making the page 1280px (ato->Style & configure LAYOUT->Layout WIDTH and type (FLUID or FIXED))
Old Feb 14, 2011, 05:59 AM
eric41

51 posts · Aug 2010
Nieder Sachsen, Germany
Juggledad, thank you for the suggestion. I have changed the layout to a fixed 1280px (and then changed it back), but the clipping was still occurring in IE8, just as before. A left-right scroll bar appeared to accomodate for extra material, I guess, but the right sidebar content is still cut off.

I'm wondering if I understand the basic idea with the fluid layout...I was preferring that because, doesn't it basically give your layout elasticity, so it automatically adjusts to varying screen resolutions? That's something I want. I have built this for a 1280px width layout, and I don't want the whole layout getting clipped in smaller resolutions.

Is there anything else it could be? And why is it only happening in Explorer?

Thank you again!
Old Feb 14, 2011, 06:15 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
You also have a layout issue in Safari

1) You are putting styling in the HTML - the center menu - why not use CSS?
2) Your center menu code is outside the wrapper and container so it's not subject to their styling sizes etc
3) you are adding styling overrides of the sidebars in the CSS inserts - why not use the sidebar styling option?
4) (not an error, but could cause issues in the future) many of your CSS inserts, the last rule does not end with a ';'
Old Feb 18, 2011, 09:34 AM
eric41

51 posts · Aug 2010
Nieder Sachsen, Germany
Juggledad, I have worked on 'cleaning up' my code as much as my current skill level will allow. I have found your suggestions tremendously helpful. A couple of your suggestions eventually led me the particular solution I was looking for and really helped me to make a lot of progess overall. Thank you as always!

I should have done this a long time ago, and it's not nearly enough, but I have dropped $25 into your Paypal donation link. I would like to encourage others who have gotten a lot of help here to contribute to this amazing resource. Not only have I been able to accomplish specific projects with the help I've received here, but I've learned a ton overall.

Thanks again!!

Last edited by eric41; Feb 18, 2011 at 09:37 AM.