Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Header configuration & styling »

can someone tell me how to add a row of several images in place of the panoramic one?

Old Mar 23, 2009, 02:07 PM
mom7to

2 posts · Mar 2009
New here, and trying to learn. I love this theme. Can someone point me in a direction to change the nature panaromic header to one that contains multiple pictures, maybe 5 or 6 of them? Thank you so much.

D.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 05:16 PM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
Hello D!

I'd say the easiest way create your "collection" will be to get into a photo editor (PhotoShop Elements, Gimp is free) and create a new blank image. The three images measuring that Flynn has Atahualpa using "out of the box" are 1300 px wide x 160 px high. But, you can vary both the width and height. The Atahualpa Theme Options says:
Header Images

All header images are located in /[theme-name]/images/header. All images in that directory will be rotated. If you don't want rotating header images, leave only one image in that directory.

* If you chose a fixed width layout, the image(s) should be as wide as your layout width.
* If you chose a fluid layout, the images should be as wide as your "max width" setting.
* If you chose no "max-width" setting, your images should be as wide as the widest screen resolution (of your visitors) you want to cater for. 1280 pixels is common today, so the images should be that wide or wider. The next common screen widths are 1440, 1600, 1680 and 1920 pixels.

You'd then open your pictures in the editor. You'll have to exercise some care to insure that the individual images are correctly sized so they'll "fit" into the 1300x160 blank. Then, one by one, copy and paste them into the 1300x160 blank.

From personal experience I can tell you that if you set Atahualpa up with flexible width, as the browser window is narrowed a portion of the right side of the image will disappear "under" the right window edge. So anything importgant in the image should be kept nearer the center or left side. You can see how this works at my site http://hatchtown.com/ -- change the width of the browser window to see how the picture gets cropped. (note: I have things set up with a Min and Max width so it's sort of semi-flexible).

The way Flynn has the images/header/ subdirectory working is neat. You could create three different header pictures using maybe 18 or 20 of your pictures and Atahualpa will cycle through the three.

If you're not really conversant with any photo editors maybe the program you do use to "manipulate" or store your pitctures has some sort of "make a collage" feature. You could tell it to make you a collage of the right size to be used as an Atahualpa header.

Let me know how you're getting along. Jim
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:30 PM
mom7to

2 posts · Mar 2009
Thanks so much. I'm going to work on it now. I know the very basics of Photoshop Elements, so perhaps I can get it going that way. Thanks again for the help.
Old Mar 24, 2009, 06:49 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Hey ShepardD - there is an option under the Header Image called 'Header Image: Alignment' that allows you to define where the image is locked for a flexable image. I use Top Center, so when you resize the window, both the right and left sides of the image slide under the window edge. Take a look at mysite http://zenofmud.org tosee how it works
Old Mar 24, 2009, 09:14 AM
Shepherd Jim

301 posts · Feb 2009
Bristol, midcoast Maine USA
WOW! Juggledad! You are RIGHT!

As soon as I read your post I remembered setting that option ("Top Left" in my case) without too much thought.

BTW, nice w/site! I've bookmarked it so I can go back when there's time for investigating!

Re the header alignment question: On the site I'm setting up to eventually be my personal blog I've put some graphics in the header and I want to control their positioning to some degree -- eg. don't want them under the blog title -- http://www.shepherdjim.com/wp/ so the left align works there. But, the Center might be better on our farm/business site http://www.hatchtown.com where positioning is not so critical.

Bottom line here is that Flynn has packed an AMAZING amount of granularity into Atahualpa's options!