Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

Top Menus Question

Old Sep 26, 2010, 05:16 PM
linuxguru

3 posts · Sep 2010
Hi, folks,

I'm in the process of moving my web site to WP, and have installed WP 3.01/Atahualpa 3.5.3, on SuSE Linux 10.2/ISPConfig 2.

There are 2 menu groups supported by this theme, atop of graphic header image (still default) - categories/pages, and below it - categories/posts. So far I have defined only "Menu 1" to display "Categories".

Here are small problems I've got.

1) On top menu #1 categories/pages are displayed even if no pages are defined under particular category.

2) Menu title itself is "clickable" with link followed by message "Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.". However, my idea was to display and click menu items, not menu title.

3) Menu #2 IS displayed despite the fact it is not defined in WP -> Settings -> Menus. "General -> Posts" on blue background on screenshot.

4) Render of "Pages" content is fast - 0.1 sec in average. However, rendering of "Posts" is whopping 26 sec! I think it is not related to theme but to some glitch in setup or whatever else. Anyway, may be someone know what could be the cause.

Please look at screenshot attached.

Website URLs:
WP Front Page
http://www.vacuum-tube.eu/wp/

Pages view, fast render:
http://www.vacuum-tube.eu/wp/?page_id=12

Post view, slow render (26 sec):
http://www.vacuum-tube.eu/wp/?p=51

Thanks in advance for any suggestion(s)!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wp.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	769  

Last edited by linuxguru; Sep 29, 2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 06:23 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
Are you using the Atahualpa menu system or the WordPress menu system? If you have %pages and %cats in the theme settings then you will see both of the menus on the front page. If you have a menu defined in WordPress>Appearance>Menus then you will see that menu if you don't have one defined there you will see the Atahualpa menu.

For the top menu item to not take you anywhere you either have to set Don't link first level parent items in page menu bar to yes if you are using the Atahualpa menu. If you are using the WP menu then you need to create custom menu item with just a # in the URL field.

If writing this I am assuming some familiarity with both the menu systems so please state if something is not clear.

I don't know what is causing the speed issue. Do you have all the bug fixes in place for 3.5.3? Not that it would be the cause but just to make sure it isn't related.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
linuxguru

3 posts · Sep 2010
Hi, Larry,

Thanks for so quick reply. In fact, by mistake I have used BOTH menu systems at once (I have installed Atahulpa only yesterday).

Now I switched from Atahulpa meny system to WP, and defined this in "Configure Header Area"
%logo %bar1 %image %bar2

Duplicate menu disappeared.

However, my newly defined WP menu (Menu 1) is not showing anywhere for whatever weird reason. I cleared browser cache, switched to another one, no no menus at all. I have deleted WP menu, redefined it again - no luck either. I even reset settings for Atahulpa's own "Menu 1" and "Menu 2".

Update 1: Just for hack I have activated other theme - menus appeared where they should be. Switched back - no menus!
Update 2: Installed 3.5.3 menu update posted on support forum. The same

Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by linuxguru; Sep 27, 2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 04:32 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
You still need to have %pages and/or %cats for the menus to show. It's just that when you assign a WP menu to position 1 or 2 you will be using the WP menu. If you unassign the menu in Appearance>Menu the the Atahualpa menu will be used. Bottom line put %pages where you want the menu to be.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:57 AM
linuxguru

3 posts · Sep 2010
Thanks, that's worked ! Loading posts is still hell slow, but this is not a problem related to atahulpa.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:31 PM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Don't know about the slow load. That's kinda strange.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:56 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
if you look at the stats at the bottom of both pages you see

28 queries. 1.412 seconds. <- the fast render - a PAGE
27 queries. 26.196 seconds. <- the slow render - a POST

first thing I would do is disable ALL plug-ins and test again