Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Site Styles Distorting on Loading or Refresh

Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:52 AM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Site Styles Distorting on Loading or Refresh

I have two sites running on Wordpress 3.1.4 with Atahualpa 3.6.4. Within the last few months, both of these sites have developed a problem with distortion of the site styles on loading and on each page refresh, in all browsers.

Sometimes (rarely) the pages render properly, sometimes distorted to different degrees on each page refresh (e.g. sometimes improperly wrapping the navigation bar, not rendering the proper font size and color for the site title or tagline or for the RSS link in the header, and various combinations of the following and other errors: not showing the proper font size and color for page titles and other headers; omitting the narrow border between the left sidebar and center column, or rendering it duplicated three or four times; omitting the bottom border that is supposed to appear under each widget; omitting all the borders that are to surround a particular footer widget area; omitting padding and margins; and sometimes completely distorting the whole page, or showing only source code upon some page refreshes!).

These problems occur in all current-version browsers that I have tried -- Firefox, IE, and Chrome. (I do note that some CSS distortion has been noted with newer versions of Firefox: E.g. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...bug-issue?rq=1 or See: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/937846 ).

My two sites that are having these problem were built in 2011, and were working fine until sometime within the past few months, when these problems developed. I have not made any changes to the sites since December, 2011. My web host, GoDaddy, says that they have not re-configured their servers in any way.

None of my other sites, which are running older versions of WP and Atahualpa, are experiencing these problems.

Can anyone please HELP!!

Many thanks!!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:32 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
1) why are so far back on both WP and Atahualpa releases?
2) saying you have a problem doesn't help with out seeing the site
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:20 AM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Juggledad,

I sent you a private message with the URLs for the two sites.

Many thanks!
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:37 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I would check your error ogs and access logs. I viewing the page I see the 'distortion' and upon viewing the source, I have an idea of what is happening.

In 3.6.4 the theme is using the php 'inlclude' command (later versions stopped using this). In your case, when the distortion happens after the second include, every include copies in the same data.

If the site has had no changes and has been running fine, tat leads me to beleive that some setting on the server has been changed and that is causing the issue. I flat out don't beleive that GoDaddy hasn't made a single change in the server - ie no maintnance, no security patches , nothing...I don't think so.

All that said, you are on old releases of both WordPress and Atahualpa and I would first suggest upgrading WP and then Atahualpa and seeing if the issue remains.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:18 AM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
I have successfully updated to WordPress 3.3.2 (the latest version that GoDaddy had available), but the problems of distortion on loading and refresh persist.

The reason I used Atahualpa 3.6.4 on these sites is that, at the time, it was the last version of Atahualpa that included the feature allowing you to Add New Widget Areas via the Atahualpa Theme Options.

Question: Has this feature (Add New Widget Areas) been added back in ATO in Atahualpa 3.7.9?

If I now update to Atahualpa 3.7.9, will the new widget areas that I created via ATO in Atahualpa 3.6.4 remain, or will they be lost? Via ATO in Atahualpa 3.6.4, I had created four new Footer widget areas, and three new Center Column Widget Areas - one Above Loop, one Loop, and one Below Loop. Upon upgrade to 3.7.9, will these new widget areas automatically remain, or would I have to recreate them by hard coding in the main index file, or somewhere else?

Many thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:56 PM
New WordPress Fan

141 posts · Jul 2010
Further to above: I tested Atahualpa 3.7.9 on a demo site, and see that the ATO Options in 3.7.9 do include an option to Add New Widget Areas -- similar to that option which was included in 3.6.4.

When I upgrade from 3.6.4 to 3.7.9, will the update automatically carry the New Widget Areas I created in 3.6.4 into 3.7.9?

Or, if I export the Atahualpa settings file from 3.6.4 before upgrading, and then import that settings file into 3.7.9, will the settings file carry with it all the New Widget Areas I created in 3.6.4?

Many thanks!

Last edited by New WordPress Fan; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:58 PM.