Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » New Versions, & Updating »

[SOLVED] Why I Hate Upgrading Atahualpa

Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:54 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Noel, are you under the impression that you can not make a child theme with Atahualpa?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:06 PM
noel.odesk

12 posts · Jan 2013
Netherlands
No, as a matter of fact I was testing with a child theme when I ran into the fact that the favicon, header and such simple stuff was not working.
That is, not working without the work-arounds that you guys suggested sofar or the ones I found by googling. It was only after that, that I found more people complaining about child-theme incompatibilities (functions.php, other stuff I haven't run into maybe?)

The problem arises when we look at a larger scale:
10 seperate devs using Atahualpa to create 5 projects each, knowing how to update and maintain.
Then delivering these 50 projects to 10 clients, or passing it on to 10 different devs.
What happens after an update, and as we all know most end-users (clients) and even a lot of devs, get quite trigger-happy when they see the update-notification.
They don't test on forehand, let alone are they qualified enough to fix problems once things go south.

The actual problem is that 50 projects will have to be checked in such a scenario, only because the framework has not been written in compliance what what all end-users as well as developers expect from a product that has been downloaded over a million times.

So please -and I ask this on behalf of all people using your framework with pleasure- please reconsider the fact that on the long run it will benefit both the users, the developers, as imho yourself (the earlier mentioned increase of donations) when the framework is child-theme compliant in a way that all users of it are familiar with.

Really, the work-arounds you guys offered are a great solution, but it does not when using the framework on a larger scale, without knowing who will use or maintain it once it's out of the hands of the first developer.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:44 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Quote:
So please -and I ask this on behalf of all people using your framework with pleasure- please reconsider the fact that on the long run it will benefit both the users, the developers, as imho yourself (the earlier mentioned increase of donations) when the framework is child-theme compliant in a way that all users of it are familiar with.
1) remember you can make a child theme
2) I've seen cases where 'web' developers who don't understand the theme, edit the css files directly and make changes to the code directly and create a horrible mess.

The thing is that Atahualpa is not like other themes. I think Flynn (the developer) is brilliant and I think Atahualpa is a step above other themes - because you don't need child themes. Yes I will agree it would be nice if you didn't have to re-upload your header images but that ability existed and was taken away by WordPress 'new' requirements. Once you could code php in the theme options, but that was taken away by 'new' WordPress requirements.

Personally I think Flynn should add that stuff back in and make it a premium theme. Imagine only needing to know how one theme works?? how much time as a web developoer would you save? And you could still make sites different looking (browse thru the 'Showing Off' thread to see some examples)

But I don't make the decisions since I'm just a moderator, the theme is Flynn's to do with what he wants. You can always dig thru the code and code a method of saving the headers and present it to him and maybe it will get into a new release, just one thing, make sure it adheres to all the theme review guidelines (you can find these in the codex).

I think this thread has run it's course so I'm closing it.

Last edited by lmilesw; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:09 AM
noel.odesk

12 posts · Jan 2013
Netherlands
All right, I'll give that some thoughts indeed, and let it be clear that I fully agree with the brilliance of Flynn's job, as well as yours here on the forum.

Thanks anyway both of you for taking the time to explain it all as good as possible, as well as the offered suggestions as work-arounds.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:23 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
With 3.7.11 you can now specify the location of your header images, your favicon and logo