Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » WordPress Themes » Atahualpa 3 Wordpress theme » Page & Category Menu Bars »

List of Categories as a dropdown submenu to the Home menu

Old Sep 18, 2009, 01:56 PM
fma

4 posts · Sep 2009
Hello,

I'm a newbie to WordPress and I have to say I am very impressed by the power of the engine combine with the ease of use of the Atahualpa theme. This is great!

I'm looking at adding a submenu to the "Home" link of the menubar. I'd like it to be either a page or a list of categories.

Is that possible to do?

thanks a lot
Old Sep 18, 2009, 02:57 PM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
Any page that you create in WP, that is a child of another page, will show as a dropdown in the menubar (as long as you set the options correct at ato->Page Menu Bar)
Old Sep 19, 2009, 03:04 AM
fma

4 posts · Sep 2009
Yes, I understand how to make a page being a child of another, but how do you add a submenu to the Home link shown in the Page Menu Bar?

I would like it to be either:
- a page
- the list of categories

thanks
Old Sep 21, 2009, 12:49 AM
fma

4 posts · Sep 2009
any idea how to do this?
thanks a lot
fab
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:45 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
Here is one way - without editing the code.

Create page 'landing', 'myblog' and 'child'
make 'child' a child of 'landing' or 'myblog' which ever you want as the front page
go to ATO->Page Menu Bar and clear out 'Home link in Page Menu Bar'
go to dashboard->settings->reading->Front page displays and set it to 'A Static Page' and choose the page you want.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 09:42 AM
fma

4 posts · Sep 2009
thanks a lot. That will make a page menu item link to another page.
I wish there were a way with ATO to do this without having to create a static page for the home page.

Now how can I make a list of categories being a drop down menu of an item in the pages menu?

In fact, I can see there are hacks to make categories being part of the pages menu. How can I make them being a submenu of a page name in the pages menu (ideally ATO's Home page item)?

Please don't tell me I have a create one page per category and specify there are childs of a static home page... There has to be an "easy" way!

cheers
fabien
Old Sep 22, 2009, 04:43 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
This is actually a wordpress 'issue' - there is no ability currently to attach a child page to the 'posts' page when the posts page is set as 'your latest posts'

You could put an RFE (request for enhansement) up on the WordPress site, who knows, maybe it will be implimented someday

As for categories - there is no easy way I can think of. Once again, categories are dynamic, while pages are static. You could use the page2cat plugin and see if that will work for you