Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA
There will be no more development for Atahualpa (or any other theme), and no support. Also no new registrations. I turned off the donation system. I may turn the forum to read only if it gets abused for spam. Unfortunately I have no time for the forum or the themes. Thanks a lot to the people who helped in all these years, especially Larry and of course: Paul. Take care and stay healthy -- Flynn, Atahualpa developer, Sep 2021

Wordpress Themes - WP Forum at BFA » Forum Usage » Forum How-To »

Does my forum usage constitute trolling?

Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
Does my forum usage constitute trolling?

I've never quite understood the particulars of "trolling". I gather that it refers to people who pop in (frequently or not), drop a comment, and don't contribute much otherwise. But, just how much activity do I need to keep up in order for my contributions to be non-trollish?

For instance, I've dropped in and answered a few questions in the past, considered the matters settled, then not answered other questions for quite some time. Is this trolling behavior? And is it discouraged? If so, what if I dig up an old neglected question that deserves an answer? Is this good or bad behavior?

I suspect these answers vary between forums, but I'm still interested in the response of mods/non-mods alike.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 09:38 AM
juggledad

23,765 posts · Mar 2009
OSX 10.11.5 WP 4.x Atahualpa(all) Safari, Firefox, Chrome
I think trolls are people who drop in and post things to cause controversy. Like a PC user getting onto a mac form and complaining about a MAC product. In this case, if you were another theme developer and started making a big deal about an issue with Atahualpa, I'd consider you a troll (and probably ban you).

We get a number of people who will open a thread asking a question about another theme, I call them 'misguided' and tell to go ask the author of thier theme and close the thread.

Those that link directly to another theme (or hinky site) get banned.

My rule is if I think you are a spammer, you get banned.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:40 AM
mdmower

76 posts · Jul 2010
Missouri, USA
Useful information, thanks.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:45 AM
lmilesw

10,176 posts · Jul 2009
Central New York State USA
From my experience with your posts you do not qualify as a troller.